Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove.

Posted by: bigfoot2

Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove. - 11/27/09 05:07 PM

HELP!!!!
I am trying to build a windscreen for my Vargo Jet-Ti canister stove:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Vargo-Titanium-Jet-Ti-ISOPRO-Butane-Stove/productinfo/C-V-T303/

What i am looking at making is something similar to this:

http://homepage.mac.com/jdmitch/PhotoAlbum3.html

I am using a small light-weight aluminum "Boy Scout" type pot with the bale handle removed. The problem i am running into is that the stove has nothing to hold up the pot/windscreen. The best i could come up with is to drill two small holes through the pot/windscreen and insert two titanium stakes through the holes, through the holes in the stoves wings and out the other side to hold it all up, but this adds weight and hassle. Has anyone tried to make a windscreen for the Vargo Jet-Ti in the past? Any ideas will be appreciated!

BF cool
Posted by: Paul

Re: Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove. - 11/28/09 04:09 PM

I have a different canister stove (Coleman) and thought about making a similar windscreen for it, but ended up just getting a foil windscreen from antigravitygear. I just use it sort of semi-close to the stove with it open on one side so I can reach the valve. It works pretty well, and I have had no problems with heating the canister - though I do check on it to be safe. Very simple, adapts to whatever pot I use, and would work with any stove.
Posted by: Rick

Re: Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove. - 11/28/09 09:26 PM

I tried something similar with my Crux. The best success was with some 1/64" stainless wire between the pot supports to hold the windscreen.

In the end it became such a fiddly thing to setup I abandoned it in favour of a foil windscreen that sat in the ground and wrapped the canister and pot. This ended up working not to bad.

If you have more success than I, please let us know.
Posted by: groh_frog

Re: Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove. - 11/30/09 07:17 PM

Is the hard part getting to the flame adjuster if you stick with a foil wrap?
Posted by: Rick

Re: Need help designing windscreen for my Vargo stove. - 11/30/09 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By groh_frog
Is the hard part getting to the flame adjuster if you stick with a foil wrap?

Not really. The valve is at the opening in the foil wrap. 90% of my "cooking" is boiling water, add dehydrated ingredients, and remove pot to cozy. No real micro management of valve with my style. It's all the way open or all the way closed. The uptown version of FB cooking.