Poncho/Tent

Posted by: Bushman

Poncho/Tent - 07/21/09 05:15 PM

Have been searching for plans for a poncho/ tent but have yet to find any. Anyone know where to find any plans?EDIT: I need the material dimensions of the six moon gatewood cape. Not the pitched dimensions.

ALso has anyone used one? Mainly people who have had it rain on them, or if they have used it on a thru hike.

thanks
ryan
Posted by: rambler

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/21/09 07:41 PM

The Gatewood Cape by Six Moon Designs is popular and makes an excellent tent like shelter.
Golite makes one that has a traditional rectangular shape for its minimal shelter set up. The guy line is often run above it down the center. The hood needs to be tied off or closed to make it leak proof when part of the "roof".

Patterns for ponchos are available online at Rain Shed or Quest Outfitters.

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/21/09 10:26 PM

thanks you for the info and input
Posted by: lori

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/21/09 10:39 PM

There's a pattern for a poncho that accommodates a pack (similar to the Packa) at Backpacking Light but it's in the members section.

I carry a DriDucks poncho - twelve bucks, and it functions as an undercover for my hammock as well, or a place to sit, or rain gear, or a cover for my quilt.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/22/09 01:30 AM

This is another type that is heavier but is a bit of a one/two wall hybrid offering a bug net kind of set up as well .
Scroll down for the updated version.
http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=821&selfpath=/12/125
Franco

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/22/09 03:07 AM

Anyone have the dimensions of the gatewood cape? While Pitched that is.
Thanks
Posted by: Franco

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/22/09 03:12 AM

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45
I think the standard height is 45"
Franco

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/22/09 02:14 PM

I plan on just cutting a 6'but 9' tarp the cutting accordingly.

Re: Poncho/Tent - 07/22/09 08:56 PM

Sorry i need the material dimensions of the gatewood cap. Not the pitched dimensions.