Quilt making help

Posted by: Bushman

Quilt making help - 07/05/09 10:54 PM

I was wondering who might be a good quality supplier of down. I have thought of buying from thru hiker, but was wondering what other options there might be. This is my first post and will be my first project.

Thanks for the help
Ran
Posted by: lori

Re: Quilt making help - 07/06/09 09:11 AM

There's good down at speerhammocks.com. He sells fabrics too.
Posted by: paintball2404

Re: Quilt making help - 07/08/09 07:54 AM

Speerhammocks has 900fill power for $10/oz.
Thru-hiker has 800 fill power for $9/oz.

Im not sure about the down from speer, but I know the stuff from thru-hiker is very good quality.

Re: Quilt making help - 07/08/09 07:59 PM

Should i even bother putting down/insulation on the bottom of the quilt? Has anyone made a down top and synthetic bottom? Oh and by bottom i mean the part on the ground. Looking to make a 40degree quilt, there and around.
Posted by: Spock

Re: Quilt making help - 07/08/09 08:33 PM

Synthetic insulation on the bottom is a waste of time and weight. It compresses. A pad will do the job. Back before the lava cooled there were experiments like you described. Mercefully, short-lived.
Posted by: lori

Re: Quilt making help - 07/09/09 12:14 AM

Unless you use the "bottom" as an underquilt on a hammock, the compression will kill any benefit of having said "bottom."

Big Agnes has no bottom insulation on their sleeping bags, just a pad pocket.

Re: Quilt making help - 07/09/09 12:23 AM

Yeah i figured it was hopeless to put insulation on the bottom. Thanks for the help.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Quilt making help - 07/11/09 11:51 PM

It wouldn't be a quilt if it had insulation on the bottom. It would be something else. In fact, it wouldn't be a quilt if it had anything on the bottom.