Wombats and Momentum Fabric

Posted by: Folkalist

Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/24/09 10:12 AM

Just in case some folks are worried that Momentum fabric might be too fragile, I thought I'd share a recent experience.

About a week ago, I was on an evening tour of the Sydney Tarongo Zoo. Our group was treated to special visit by a corn snake (her name was Ella, I tried to sneak her into my pocket) and a Wombat named Big Boy. Well, the Wombat, which closely resembles and acts like a couch pillow, decided that my homemade (ThruHiker kit) windshirt was the best thing he'd ever seen. He sucked and chewed on it to his heart's content. Damage? None, just a little wrinkled.

I got to pet a wallaby named Sweet Pea, too.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/24/09 11:46 AM

Yeah, just brag about it why don't cha! wink
Posted by: Eric

Re: Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/24/09 06:29 PM

Sounds like you've found a new measure of fabric durability: "Wombat hours" i.e. the number of hours it takes a standard wombat to chew a hole in the fabric. Now all we have to do is define a standard wombat.
Posted by: AussieBushwalker

Re: Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/24/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By Folkalist
Well, the Wombat, which closely resembles and acts like a couch pillow, decided that my homemade (ThruHiker kit) windshirt was the best thing he'd ever seen. He sucked and chewed on it to his heart's content. Damage? None, just a little wrinkled.

That windshirt must be made of one tough fabric.

Don't let the docile nature of a tame wombat deceive you they can be very aggressive. Even though they may resemble a pillow they can do a lot of damage to a car if you hit one and have been known to topple tents as they run through camp sites.

Hope you are enjoying your visit to our fine city.

Regards,
Michael.

P.S. Here's a nice photo of a burrow entrance near Wombeyan Caves. That embankment is about 3-4mts high.

Re: Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/26/09 09:02 PM

Yeh, he was a zoo-raised wombat. Tough hide on that critter!
We were told about many of their traits and habits. It's just hard to imagine them, when the fella is hamming it trying to get more scratching and rubbing!

Sydney was wonderful. I was there back in February, too. My only major disappointment is that Sydney is ALL we got to see. But then again, I was there for work not play.

Re: Wombats and Momentum Fabric - 06/26/09 09:05 PM

standard wombat hours

Oh, don't make me laugh so hard!!!!!

I suspect that if the fabric had been covering a wombat-loved treat it wouldn't have faired so well. The handler was shocked though when I teased my sleeve out of the wombat's mouth and it was intact.