Fire proof coozies

Posted by: GDeadphans

Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 11:23 AM

I recently made a Super Cat alcohol stove, and was wanting to make a fire proof coozie for my Snow Peak Trek 700 pot...

In having the coozie it will boost the efficiency of the stove, and when done cooking keep the food hot longer.

Any suggestions on material?

Posted by: energy_turtle

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 12:12 PM

you could try Nomex, but I'd read up on how long it can withstand direct flame before proceeding. I think what you're asking of it is probably too much, though.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 12:31 PM

Maybe fiberglass. Never tried it myself.
Posted by: chaz

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 01:16 PM

Look in the big box hardware stores for a material that is coated with aluminum foil and use aluminum tape to put it together. You may find something that uses fiberglass and the aluminum etc. I think the purpose of a coozie is to keep things warm after you heat the water and mix ingredience. To insulate your cook pot, I have coated the bottom with high heat header paint and the sides of the pot with high heat silicon gasket maker. Very ugly but does the job. A lid is very important also.
Posted by: lori

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 03:39 PM

What's a coozie? smirk I have a cozy with a mylar lining that I use for freezer bag cooking, and anti gravity gear makes pot sets with Reflectix cozies. You can buy or make them easy enough for whatever size ziploc or pot you want to use - a roll of Reflectix and some duct tape goes a looooong way.
Posted by: Heber

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/23/09 09:39 PM

I don't think a cozy permanently attached to the pot is the best idea. While the stove is running it will slow down the heating of the water. That warm air that rises up the sides of the pot makes the net flow of heat INTO the pot, not the reverse. Once the stove is out you can slip a cozy on to retain the heat.

That's my recommendation anyway.
Posted by: lori

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/24/09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By Heber
I don't think a cozy permanently attached to the pot is the best idea. While the stove is running it will slow down the heating of the water. That warm air that rises up the sides of the pot makes the net flow of heat INTO the pot, not the reverse. Once the stove is out you can slip a cozy on to retain the heat.

That's my recommendation anyway.

I guess I didn't read that into the original post - I supposed the concern was not having something flammable in the vicinity of the stove, not cooking in it. I would never use a cozy on a pot while it's in use - reflectix is the most oft used material for cozies and it would surely melt over direct flame, but it isn't likely to catch on fire.
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/24/09 11:22 AM

I originally wanted a cozy (thanks for the spelling correction, coozie felt wrong lol) to cover the pot after cooking, but was thinking if the cozy was on the sides of the pot would it help or hinder the cook time. Just something wrapped around so the direct cold air is not hitting the sides of the pot. But, I do see the other way to this...its more the heat has to travel through on the bottom....

Posted by: Paddy_Crow

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/24/09 12:03 PM

Cold air is not hitting the sides of the pot. Heated air from the stove deflects off the bottom of the pot and continues up the sides. Adding insulation to the sides will likely reduce the amount of heat transferred into the pot (in most circumstances).
Posted by: EricKingston

Re: Fire proof coozies - 02/24/09 01:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing...