Sewing Machine Problem

Posted by: Brennan

Sewing Machine Problem - 02/09/09 02:01 PM

Edit: Problem resolved.

I am trying to resurrect my mom's old Singer (Model 758), but I'm having a problem. It seems like the fabric is not feeding through the machine very well, so I end up with bunched up fabric around the stitches. If I pull the fabric taut with my hands at the front and back and sort of pull it through the machine, I can get nice stitches, but this is not an easy way to sew. I tried adjusting the pressure dial for the presser foot, but this did not help. I am new to sewing, so maybe there is something I a missing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/09/09 03:22 PM

Update: After some further fiddling with the machine, it appears I've gotten it to work.

So, onto the next question: Any suggestions for an easy sewing project for a beginner? Stuff sack maybe?
Posted by: Rick

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/09/09 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By Brennan
Update: After some further fiddling with the machine, it appears I've gotten it to work.

What was the problem?
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/09/09 06:38 PM

Oil the thing top and bottom, every moving part with a drop or two of sewing machine oil. Run it threadless at high speed for a few seconds and oil again. Wipe of access.
Gunked up machines run out of sync and behave like you describe.

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/09/09 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By Rick
What was the problem?

Not sure exactly. I fiddled with the tension settings and the bobbin casing. Not sure if it was one or the other or both, but it works now.
Posted by: ShadeDog

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/13/09 10:07 AM

Stuff Sacks are first. Introduce your self to the people at the fabric stores and investigate all the that they sell. Practice a variety of seams with cheaper nylon. Practice seam pulling.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Sewing Machine Problem - 02/15/09 12:38 PM

The feeding "teeth" can be worn out if it's a very (very) old machine. Clean it thoroughly. There may be some amount of lint under these teeth, and in the feeding mecanism. Most parts can be unscrewed and inspected.