Making a lighter bear spray holder?

Posted by: Wolfeye

Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/05/09 11:45 AM

I'm interested in making a bear spray holder, but... I have little idea of where to start. I've made a few items out of leather for native dance regailia before, but that's worlds different than using UL materials.

What I have in mind is something that will clip onto either a hip belt or onto pants. I've read about heat-moldable Kydex for sheath making, so I thought I'd start there. The end product would look something like a shlumpy bicycle bottle holder, only paper-thin.

Any advice? grin I'm sure something lighter could be made out of fabric materials, but my knowledge of that is pretty murky.
Posted by: hoz

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/05/09 12:23 PM

My holster for Counter Assault Bear Spray is made entirely from cordura and nylon webbing and has a "loop" on the back for a belt.

The cordura wraps around the can and the webbing from top to bottom.

Pretty simple project actually.
http://www.counterassault.com/html/bearproducts.html
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/05/09 03:08 PM

I use a 5/8" fastex like quick release buckle.

I tie the male half of the buckle to the neck of the bear spray cannister using 1/16" inch cord.

I tie the female half of the buckle to the front of my pack's shoulder straps.

The bear spray hangs on the right side of my chest and is readily available if I need it.

When in camp I wear a 1/2" nylon strap around my waist like a belt. It has several female buckle halves attached to it. I snap the bear spray to one of them.

These buckles, by the way, only weigh about 1/5 ounce each. I have them attached to many places on my pack. I attach handkerchiefs, monoculars, hats, etc. to the pack using them. I've never had one break or accidentally open. I buy them at Seattle Fabrics.
Posted by: frediver

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/05/09 03:29 PM

all you need is a 12oz. size nylon water bottle holder, you can get them at the grocery store , $1.99-$2.99.
they have a belt loop and a elastic draw string top. Fits mine perfect.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/05/09 08:19 PM

Wolfeye

So what good is light bear spray? Isn't that a bit like light beer? goodjob
Jim
Posted by: chaz

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/06/09 09:18 AM

I haven't had the need for bear spray or ever purchased it. I would think that a waterbottle holder with a draw string would make it slow to whip it out. Have you seen some of the bear videos where the bear comes charging around a bush and knocks the person with the camera down? I think I would want a quick draw holster if I were to carry the stuff. Maybe some kinda clip affair like a cell phone button? I don't know about lite bear spray but I can tell you that lite beer sucks.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/06/09 09:19 AM

Jim, he is talking about spray for light bears. crazy wink wink eek
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/06/09 11:54 AM

I actually use bear spray as a jet pack to help me up those steep hills. cool

Looks like there are plenty of simpler options out there than a kydex sheath. Now I'm thinking of ways to rig a rubber strap so it will have a quick-draw belt clip on the back. I like the belt attachment idea; back in my paintball days, we used to hold CO2 cartridges & cigar tubes (ammo tubes) in shotgun ammo loops. Very handy.

Once I get my hands on another can I'll get to work. Nice hiking weather has come nigh, and coincidentally my wife wants to take a pepper spray defense course. It seems the two wolds collided and made me think of bear spray.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/06/09 01:31 PM

I dont know if you ever plan to put it back in the pouch but you can always jbweld the quick draw belt clip to the bottle. Probably more reliable then rubber bands.
Posted by: phat

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/07/09 03:14 PM

I've used the stretchy type and the type as in the picture above - (nylon with the flap). Go for the nylon with the flap, it's lighter, and you don't lose your bear spray. The only time I ever had to take it out of the holster in a hurry the flap was no trouble at all.

Posted by: hoz

Re: Making a lighter bear spray holder? - 02/08/09 08:47 AM

Should be noted the nylon webbing flap in the above picture is held in place with velcro