Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt?

Posted by: ttaboro

Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt? - 01/09/09 12:07 PM

I did a search and couldn't find any posts on exactly what I needed so here goes...

I purchased an REI Kilo Flash 35 degree down mummy sleeping bag and would like to convert it to a quilt. I feel really constricted with it zipped up. I'm thinking of taking the zipper out and removing the drawstring head covering at the top. Also adding some loops so I can strap it around my sleeping pad. It currently weighs 1 pound 3 oz so I'm hoping to get it to a pound or less.

Will this work? How is the best way to attempt this without losing too much down? This will be my first sewing project. Thanks for any advice!

Millette
Posted by: phat

Re: Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt? - 01/09/09 12:29 PM

Heck, just zip the footbox up a foot or two, and drape the rest of it over you quilt style - there's no "converting" involved!

I do this all the time with down mummies.

Re: Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt? - 01/09/09 07:46 PM

That's what I'm doing right now.

I thought I might shave a few ounces by getting rid of the zipper. And it seems to shift alot...I thought it might be that the side where the hood is weighs more than the other side and shifts some.

Posted by: Tango61

Re: Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt? - 01/09/09 10:14 PM

Jump over to HammockForums.net and you'll find several threads about this.

Most folks sew the new lines first and then remove what you don't want. This minimizes loss of down.

Or just sell your bag and buy a Jacks-R-Better or Speer quilt. smile

Re: Convert Sleeping Bag to Quilt? - 01/10/09 07:53 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out!