Modifying a Tent for Sandy Beach and Desert Use

Posted by: Ben2World

Modifying a Tent for Sandy Beach and Desert Use - 11/20/08 10:11 AM

I have an "all mesh" inner tent that's a "sand magnet" when it comes to beach and desert use. I'd like to convert the mesh to uncoated, breathable fabric -- and punch out a few mesh-backed zippable windows. Rainproofness is not an issue since the fly will provide rain protection. The inner fabric only needs to block sands and howling winds.

Can someone recommend a very light weight nylon or polyester -- along with link(s)? Thanks!
Posted by: bmisf

Re: Modifying a Tent for Sandy Beach and Desert Use - 11/20/08 12:01 PM

Ben - you might want to ask Henry Shires; he just posted the specs for his new 4-season tent, and its inner tent uses the kind of fabric you're looking for.

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same fabric used for the Rainbow/Double Rainbow condensation liners.
Posted by: BrianKelly

Re: Modifying a Tent for Sandy Beach and Desert Use - 11/23/08 01:00 PM

Rather than modify your existing mesh tent, why not make a whole new base tent? You already are going to make the walls of the tent and handle the additional challenges of adding doors, windows, and whatever system you will choose to use to attach the poles to the body (pole clips, sleeves, or just webbing/grosgrain loops). The only additional step/cost would be making the floor. This way, you have a body for 3 season use, and a body for sandy conditions as well.

As far as materials go for a DIY, I haven't seen much lighter than 1.1oz uncoated nylon. Maybe someone else has seen a 15D or 20D out there, but 1.1 oz 30D is about the lightest I have seen.

Have you considered just fashioning a "skirt" of sorts to fit around the base of the tent? Something that would effectively raise the height of the floor to stop any windblown sand that gets in under the fly. It may only take and additional 6-12" of material, wouldn't be permanent, and would still maintain the integrity of the current tent.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Modifying a Tent for Sandy Beach and Desert Use - 11/30/08 07:31 PM

Quote:

As far as materials go for a DIY, I haven't seen much lighter than 1.1oz uncoated nylon. Maybe someone else has seen a 15D or 20D out there, but 1.1 oz 30D is about the lightest I have seen.

Would Momentum 0.9 oz Ultralite Ripstop from thru-hiker work?
Momentum