I have an REI Nitelite tent from about 1995. And an MSR Hubba Hubba from about 2006. Making a family etc... has kept us off the trail since about 2009. Recently we've decided the kids are big enough to start overnighting so I checked the tents. The REI tent's seams are peeling/dry. The MSR tent's fly is all sticky on the underside. Apparently it's a "known issue" with the "modern techniques and materials to decrease weight". They won't replace under warranty.

I can repair the seams on the REI tent. I can buy a new fly from MSR (about $120), or get a new tent (about $100-150). I've found some new ones that reviews say are as good as the big names.

The question is a bit more time sensitive because I'm going on a Girl Scout trip next month and we will need 3 tents soon anyway. But the weather is still kinda crappy here in PA so drying a repair in the sun isn't an option.

So....Should I put the effort into the 20+ year tent hoping nothing else will go bad, spend the money on the replacement fly on the 13 year old tent hoping that it'll continue to be a good tent, or buy a new one.