We have another lost hiker in Oregon. Been out in subfreezing weather for 4-5 days now. Apparently she was "going for a short hike" and though there is the chance of foul play, she probably got lost and didn't have the judgement to sit still.

The reason for this post is this. Is Back Packing a safer sport than hiking simply because people are more prepared and intend to spend the night out so they have gear, and just maybe more planning and skill? It is assumed that the hiker was lightly dressed. Did she have any of the ten essentials?

There is this attitude that going for a hike is just walking down a trail and "what can happen?" Well you can become lost, spend the night in cold unprepared and die.

My prayers are that she will be found alive, but there isn't a lot of hope for that.

People are always accusing me of being alarmist and of writing about what "could happen". I hope maybe bringing up this subject might help someone else from falling into the "walk in the park trap".
Jim