So I dreamed about an animal attack the other night. This is lengthy:

There I was, hiking along an abondoned logging road, all by myself. It was summertime and I was enjoying it. For some reason I was carrying a hunting rifle, which is odd because I dislike the things; too heavy, too cumbersome. I don't think I was actually hunting.

Next, I heard a large group of animals behind me. I turned around and saw a large pack of wild dogs: no owners, no collars, and definitely not wolves. They were heading up the trail fast and I wanted to avoid them. When I looked forward again I saw a tiny shack at a Y in the trail, not far away. A dog barked behind me, and I saw one streaking forward, but I thought I could run to the shack before it caught me, so I did. I slammed the door shut in time for the chaser to plow into it. (In real life, I know we're not supposed to run from predators...)

Ah, shelter! Then I noticed that the large window was missing, and that the dogs could just jump right in. The pack now had the place surrounded, and the sound of their growls and barks was omnipresent and didn't stop for the rest of the dream. I stepped in front of the window to defend myself. I remember one dog ran forward, and that I took aim (it took a second or two, I'm not a fast shot with rifles) & fired. It yelped and ran from its wound like it was chasing its tail. The scene repeated itself two or three times, then a huge brute of a dog broke down not just the door but also the wall behind it. I was exposed. As the dog sort of staggered and looked for me, I aimed and fired again. Then I woke up just before the rest of the pack got me.

Normally I'd say a dream like this is indicative of hidden anxieties, but I can't say I've ever had a deep-rooted fear of wild dogs while hiking. I've run across packs on two occasions, but nothing came of it. I also don't shoot firearms a lot - maybe once or twice a year. It's the first time I've shot anything in a dream. It's also maybe one of only two or three hiking dreams I've ever had.

Does anybody have thoughts about this? It was a very vivid dream.