Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200534 - 03/26/18 07:40 AM Where's all the puff?!
willie1280 Offline

I've started to purchase things for my trip to Alaska this fall and the area i'm lacking in is good quality clothing for layering.

First item on my list, and one i thought that now would be a good time to buy (end of season) was a puffy jacket. So After some research i settled on the Duluth Trading Alaskan Hardgear Puffin Hood Jacket. Being that i need tall, my choices were pretty limited. Anyways, the jacket arrived over the weekend and i must say i was a bit disappointed. I really expected a "puffy" jacket to be more puffy! This jackets feels more like quilted vs. puffy. It's 100% polyfil with 1.68oz nylon and they claim it's good to 0 degrees.

So are my expectations out of line? Or does the lack of puff not necessarily mean it won't provide warmth?

Eddie Bauer has alot of tall options...just wondering if maybe i should consider them instead and return the Duluth Jacket.

#200535 - 03/26/18 02:12 PM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My guess is that the shell on the jacket you bought is cotton. (The one time I’ve been into a Duluth Trading store, they appear to have a distinct aversion to nylon, polyester, and acrylic that borders on a belief that cotton is a miracle fabric.) They may rate that jacket as keeping you warm at zero - just remember that they didn’t say for how long it would keep you warm.

You really need to watch the quality of the stuff from Duluth Trading, Eddie Bauer, and other “outdoor wannabe” brands where looking like you go outdoors is more important than, you know, actually going outdoors. North Face and LL Bean are better about it, but you still need to be careful.

Yes, a puffy jacket should be puffy.

#200562 - 03/27/18 08:15 AM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
willie1280 Offline

What non "outdoor wannabe" brands carry tall? I need 44-48 in the chest and 37 in the arms.

#200563 - 03/27/18 08:54 AM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I just glanced at REI’s website, and they do have a section for “tall and extended sizes; I clicked on it, and they had a variety of brands of jackets on the first page. I suspect other outdoor sites (Backcountry Gear, Moosejaw, and Campmor, for example) also offer tall sizes. You might also try the website for specific brands: Outdoor Reasearch is my own favorite (I have the opposite problem: I need short inseams, which they carry on their website but not at retailers’ sites.)

#200564 - 03/27/18 05:35 PM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Unfortunately, when you check the size charts for those "extended" sizes at REI, the ones I looked at are not big enough for the OP. Admittedly, I looked at only three brands. So it may take some research!

I then looked at LL Bean. Looking at their size chart, Tall X-Large should be fine! Tall-XXL might even be too big!

#200571 - 03/28/18 08:05 AM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: OregonMouse]
willie1280 Offline

The Duluth jacket is only Nylon and Polyfil...no mention anywhere of cotton being used.

I checked Moosejaw (where i usually buy everything related to backpacking) and they didn't have anything specific for tall.

I guess the debate then comes down to polyfill or down.

#200794 - 04/19/18 01:08 AM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've spent quite a few cold winters in No Illinois, which, btw, is often a lot colder than places along the Alaskan coast in the winter (Juno, for example), and never had a down jacket until about 12 years ago. I've gotten two since and both have been the warmest coats I've ever had, and neither are high end jackets.

"You want to go where?"

#200816 - 04/21/18 04:02 PM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I may have missed something, but are you talking about a backpacking trip? If not, the weight is not a factor. Regardless a puffy jacket should be puffy!

If the quilting stitch goes through from front to back, then that is a place where cold will seep through. If it instead is quilted on both sides, so that the seams do not lie on top of each other, then OK.

A baffel stitch system has less cold spots, particularly if they offset the inside and outside stitches so the baffles overlap.

If you are going to be in a cold-dry climate, then down OK. If wet-cold, then you need either the newer down that is treated to be waterproof (I think they call it DryDown) or a synthetic. Regular down will become useless in repeated moist humid cold conditions.

Down gives a more "instant" warmth feel and contours around you closer, with a less drafty feel. Down gives more warmth per weight than synthetics.

A synthetic that is in little balls will mimic down's ability to contour to your body. A synthetic that comes in a sheet will not. Once you initally warm up a synthetic jacket, this is less of an issue, Down compresses more, and this is critical for backpacking, not so much a problem if on a horse-packing trip or fly-in base camp.

There are some quite sufficient "puffer" jackets sold at regular stores, such as Macy's and Target. Unfortunately, this is not the season that these stores carry these items. I bought one puffer at Macys and one at Target, each weighing about 7-8 oz with 600-down (60% down, 40%feathers), each on sale for $50. I also have a high end down sweater, 4 oz. 800-down that cost $120 on sale (an outrageous $200 list). The warmth and loft is about the same for all three. I use the heavier cheaper jackets for shorter trips when my pack is not as heavy and save the high end one for long trips when I have to really cut weight due to all the food carried.

Also, if you are going to bushwhack in this jacket you need to have a sturdy outer fabric or wear a sturdy outer layer.

Have you checked Sportsman's Warehouse? Thier clothing seems to be for really big people. I can never find anything that fits me.

Edited by wandering_daisy (04/21/18 04:05 PM)

#200817 - 04/21/18 08:06 PM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
You might want to have a look at this Columbia Jacket. It seems the XLT size should fit you. And it's on sale.

#201061 - 06/03/18 01:00 PM Re: Where's all the puff?! [Re: willie1280]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
Their website doesn't list the jacket's weight, which leads me to believe it could be heavy. If you're not backpacking with it, then that won't be an issue. I swear by Arcteryx. Extremely high quality and lightweight jackets and very puffy and warm. They should offer something for taller people it seems.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum