Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200536 - 03/26/18 03:54 PM Western Mountaineering sleeping bag recs
Dukesup1978 Offline

Loc: United States
Does anyone have recommendations on a particular Western Mountaineering sleeping bag that is good for warmer temperatures (backpacking in Joshua tree, Death Valley, etc)? Or is it preferable to have WM to use in cold temps and rather, a different brand of sleeping bag for hotter months?

#200538 - 03/26/18 04:14 PM Re: Western Mountaineering sleeping bag recs [Re: Dukesup1978]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Let me say up front that I don't know much about WM bags, but I want to point out that the temp rating to look for depends very much on not just the location but also the time of year and the specific weather forecast for the time you'll be there. Just looking at average lows in Death Valley and Joshua tree, they range anywhere from 39F and 35F, respectively, to 88F and 70F, depending on month. And, that's just the averages. There's always the potential for colder weather. Check the forecast before you go.

EN rated sleeping bags have two ratings, the "comfort" rating and the "survival" rating. Guess which one is more prominently advertised on the packaging and online. If you said the survival rating, you'd be right. So, a "20 degree bag" means it will keep you alive down to 20, not comfortable down to 20.

Another thing to consider is how warm you specifically sleep. For example, I sleep very cold. Event though I use a bag with a comfort rating of 32F, I'd never want to use it down to that temp without wearing extra warm clothes inside of it (puffy jacket, long johns, wool socks, a cap, maybe sweat pants). Other folks are the exact opposite and can use a 40F bag down to freezing. If you don't already know, figure out how warm you sleep and take that into consideration while you shop.

Sorry there's no simple easy answer here.

#200559 - 03/27/18 03:17 AM Re: Western Mountaineering sleeping bag recs [Re: Dukesup1978]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
4everplan had it right. Time of year and whether you sleep cold or warm are the big considerations.

For reference, I have a WM Summerlite (rated to 32 degrees), and I get cold easily. I've only used this bag on two trips, both in August, in Oregon's Strawberry Mountain Wilderness and Diamond Peak Wilderness, and a couple of sleepovers at a friend's. One night it got down to 28 degrees and I needed long pants, shirt, and fleece jacket in the bag. All the other nights it probably didn't get down lower than 40 degrees and all was OK. So, if you tend to sleep cold and plan to visit other areas too, the Summerlite might work for you.

No doubt you've browsed WM's web site. They have several sewn-through bags for warmer weather, and which can be used in combination with another bag for colder temperatures. I notice there are several warm-weather bags listed on their price list that aren't shown anywhere else. New items, I suppose...might be worth a call to them to investigate.

I recall reading in Colin Fletcher's "The Thousand Mile Summer" that when he was hiking through Death Valley, nights were warm and he sent his sleeping bag ahead, thinking he wouldn't need it. Then one night it dropped to 55 degrees, which seemed quite cold after the previous nights, and he was unable to sleep, so just got up and moved on in the dark. I think that was April or May.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum