Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194700 - 04/02/16 07:47 AM Hitchhiking
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
What is the proper protocol when hitchhiking? Should you pay the driver for the ride? I have done a lot of hitchhiking over the years and have just assumed that it was a courtesy on the part of the drivers. I hitchhiked home all through high school but that was 60 years ago and payment was never part of the expectations on either side. I am planning on hiking the Fox River Pathway in Michigan this summer and if I cannot find a ride I am planning on hitchhiking. I hitchhiked this trip a few years ago and I ended up with five different rides. Now I see some folks talking about paying the driver. Due to my past experience it just never occurred to me unless someone went out of their way on a special trip.

#194701 - 04/02/16 08:20 AM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: GrumpyGord]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I've hitchhiked a lot and, like you, the thought of paying the driver has never occurred to me. I have also given a fair number of lifts to people and never thought about being paid. The hitchhiker is accepting a favor, the driver is doing a favor; in the future the situation may be reversed. On the grand scale of things it should all even out in the end.

#194702 - 04/02/16 10:45 AM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: GrumpyGord]
WVhiker Offline

Loc: West Virginia
We were kinda of dipping into this in another thread about who does and does not bring there keys with them. I have thumbed a ride back to the car a few times and i have to agree having a little money is a good idea for reasons like this but it seems like when your in the back country most people are so nice they usually wont accept the money anyway. But i think regardless is should be offered.

#194705 - 04/02/16 12:08 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: WVhiker]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Actually the other thread got me thinking about this. I generally do not have more than $20 with me and I want that for the restaurant stop since a lot of small backcountry diners do not take credit cards. It never even occurred to me to pay someone for a ride to where they were going anyway. I think it is partly a generational thing. When I was growing up a lot of folks hitchhiked and it was a common practice so no one expected payment. I am an old grouch but I think that 50 years ago society was more generous to others. It seems to be that today everyone expect payment for whatever they do. As I said I am an OLD grouch.

What I do find interesting is that the 100+ times I hitched back to my car probably 90 of those times I was picked up by someone in a >$500 car which was full of junk/tools/equipment. The first thing many of the drivers say is "put on your seat belt"

#194738 - 04/04/16 12:58 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: GrumpyGord]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
There is a generational thing, but I think it is only in how common hitchhiking is. I disagree with the idea that people were more generous way back when. When you were hitchhiking in high school, you did it because you didn't have the money to drive yourself. The person who gave you a lift knew that and didn't expect anything in return. Now we are talking about people hitching a lift while on vacation. They are doing it not because they don't have the money; they are doing it for logistics reasons (i.e. There is no easy way to get a car to your hiking destination). You are relatively well off (you are able to go on vacation) and if you are hitching a ride from someone who isn't, it is rather selfish of you to not offer to help split the cost of the ride. In general it costs someone $0.51/mile to drive a car according to the IRS.

#194742 - 04/04/16 01:51 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: BZH]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I agree. Commercial shuttle services between trailheads run about $100 per person, if not more. Paying $20 for a lift still saves you a bundle.

When hitching between trailheads, I make sure I have at least rinsed out my clothes recently, take a dip in a stream, and look presentable. If you stash your pack you often will get a ride sooner. You can come back and pick up your pack. People with small cars usually have limited space and do not want a dirty pack in the back seat (or a dirty hiker!). Also it is a lot more successful if you simply ask people in the parking lot at the trailhead. Often I see hikers but there is no safe place to pull over.

#194757 - 04/04/16 11:22 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: GrumpyGord]
bobito9 Offline

I use to hitchhike all over the country back in the day and I still hitch around from one trailhead to another, but never very far anymore. Back then I never had any money, but even now I don't think people ever expect money or would want you to offer it. Maybe buy them a beer or soda or a sandwich, something in trade essentially, yes, but not money. I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to pay them, it would certainly be worth $20 to me, but I think people would prefer just to give it to you and get your profound gratitude in exchange. Well, and also they usually like for you to listen to their stories, laugh at their jokes, etc. That's just good manners. I try to be the most polite of audiences possible.
Now, one exception to the money rule would be if I were needing a ride that would require them driving significantly out of their way. In that case it would quite reasonble (and in my self interest) to pay them something. Unfortunately who are willing to become your impromptu Uber are hard to find.

#194768 - 04/05/16 11:47 AM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: bobito9]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Some people may prefer not to be paid, because once paid, legally you may be liable in an accident. But true "payment" may differ from a "tip" or "gift". It can get a bit hazy regarding legalities and I am no expert. As for trailhead to trailhead, hardly anyone is doing that just for their own need. Most do go out of their way, at least to deposit me at the second trailhead, so I offer payment for gas. A lot decline to accept, but I do offer. If you simply are getting a ride from the trailhead to the nearest highway or town, that is a different situation. The point is, do not come off as a "moocher".

#195064 - 04/24/16 12:09 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: wandering_daisy]
Sam Willows Offline

Is it safe to hitchhike generally?

If so, which countries are the drivers most receptive to hitchhikers?

#195163 - 04/29/16 03:11 AM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: Sam Willows]
NickVonMO Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'll offer up a fairly young perspective I suppose. I'm not sure if others my age agree, but as a 23 year old, I do not expect hitch hikers to pay anything other than common respect to the driver. Otherwise just friendly conversation will do just fine; I love to hear what people might be up to that led them to hitch hiking, whether it's for a backpacking trip, or to get across the states to visit a friend.

Now, granted, I will admit that many others around my age have a fear of hitch hiking or picking up hitch hikers. Everyone is convinced they've got a 50/50 chance that that stranger will be a psychopath. Same reason so many people are scared to meet someone from Craigslist at their house, or to let their 10 year old leave their street without a GPS tracking device and a cell phone.

#195173 - 04/29/16 11:40 PM Re: Hitchhiking [Re: Sam Willows]
bobito9 Offline

I couldn't answer that question very well, though I have successfully hitchhiked in a half dozen countries, but I will say that when I was in Chile 16 years ago, there were billboards along the highway with big pictures of a hitchhiking hand and the slogan "give them a hand", so I guess it was being encouraged on an official basis by the gov't...of course I took the bus and didn't try hitching smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum