Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149637 - 04/27/11 09:16 AM Overnight/long day trip pack.
Colorado-Bow Offline

Loc: Colorado
I have several larger packs but I'm looking for a lightweight day/overnight pack. Maybe something in the 35 to 45 range. I've looked online at several but actual reviews are limited in this pack range for some reason.

Would be using it on long day hikes in the Rocky Mountain National Park or overnighters throughout Colorado.

Anyone have any experience with this size of pack? Example would be the Gregory Z35 to Mountain Harware Fluid 48.

#149645 - 04/27/11 12:27 PM Re: Overnight/long day trip pack. [Re: Colorado-Bow]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
My long-distance backpacking pack also works great for short overnight or dayhikes; it's just not that heavy and I'm used to it.

In that context, you might consider the ULA Circuit, 2-1/4 pounds. Or perhaps even the Ohm by the same manufacturer. I've seen a lot of ULA packs on the trail and never met an unhappy owner.

#149649 - 04/27/11 02:33 PM Re: Overnight/long day trip pack. [Re: Colorado-Bow]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The first question has to be, how much weight will you carry in this pack? It makes considerable difference if your total pack weight for 1-2 nights is 15 pounds or 30 pounds. For 15 pounds total, you would probably do fine with a lightweight frameless pack (check out Mountain Laurel Designs, ZPacks, Six Moon Designs Swift or Gossamer Gear)--most of these packs weigh a pound or less. Most people get uncomfortable using a frameless pack with a load over 20 lbs. (this varies by individual, of course). For a 30 pound load, you need a far more substantial pack with a frame, such as the ULA Circuit or Catalyst (the latter probably too big) or one of the smaller Osprey packs.

My pack (Six Moon Designs Comet, older model) works fine for either short or long trips. I just compress it more for shorter trips. The main body is 2400 cubic inches (40 L). I do stuff things like water, snacks, the tent (very compact) and rain gear in the outside pockets, but they're not full either. I've never had to use the extension collar, even for 10-day trips or backpacking with the grandkids, and I'm seriously considering cutting part of it off to get rid of the velcro closure. Unfortunately this particular pack was discontinued in 2006, or I'd recommend it as a possibility. Its cousin, the SMD Starlite, at 60L is far too big.

You really have to try on the pack and hike for several hours around the house or neighborhood with it, keeping it clean so you can return it, with all your gear (including the equivalent of your food and water) before deciding. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/27/11 02:52 PM)

#149650 - 04/27/11 02:48 PM Re: Overnight/long day trip pack. [Re: Colorado-Bow]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I've been playing with an Osprey Hornet 46 that I think would do pretty well. It's very light for a pack with a rudimentary frame, holds enough to easily support two-night trips and compresses effectively to perform as a spacious day pack that doesn't have the gear collecting in a big lump on the bottom. The top pocket's also removable.

GoLite Jam might be another decent choice.

Cheers,

#149660 - 04/27/11 05:29 PM Re: Overnight/long day trip pack. [Re: Colorado-Bow]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've got some very limited experience with an Osprey Kestrel 28 I recently got to use as a day pack; I do like it, so far. I have more experience with the Kestrel 58 and 48, which I use for weekend backpacks - I'm very enthusiastic about them. Since all 3 are essentially the same design and suspension, I'd say the Kestrel 28, 38, or 48 would work, depending upon how much weight you want to carry. (I'd estimate 25, 30, and 35 pounds, respectively, to be the comfort limits for those packs, depending on size.)

They're not the lightest out there, but I've found they have (for me) the best balance of sturdy suspension, feature set, and weight.

#149670 - 04/27/11 09:35 PM Re: Overnight/long day trip pack. [Re: Glenn]
Wilderness70 Offline

I use the Kelty Redwing 3100 (50.8 liters). It has an internal frame, although I'm not sure if it can be considered a full-framed pack. Great for over nighters and long day hikes. I elected for the larger pack because I like have the room to stuff a heavy jacket in it if need be. I have the '09 model (I think) which can be found online for around $65. It weighs around 3 lbs 6 ounces.

Might be a little overkill for what you're looking for, but I absolutely love it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum