Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137308 - 08/06/10 04:05 PM Geocaching!
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Has anyone tried geocaching before? For those who are not familiar, in a nut shell, someone goes out and bury or hides a box with some goodies in it. May be be a can of food, a lighter, a plastic toy soldier, the items are as varied as the individual who put it there. Then they plot the coordinates on their GPS and post it on geocache.com maybe with a few clues to find it easier. Type in the zip code and theres a list of ones to find! Type the coordinates and follow the clues. Ive done it a few times and its a lot of fun. You never know what you are going to find! Be sure to bring something to leave in the box.

#137313 - 08/06/10 05:22 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: GDeadphans]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Yeah, I do some geocaching - mostly for the husband. He needs a goal when hiking.

#137317 - 08/06/10 05:50 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: GDeadphans]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've heard of it, but I've never intentionally went looking for a cache. I have stumbled upon a few. I think they're fun to find. Reading through the list of people that had found it was cool and looking though the stuff in it. I left something in all of them and signed the register.

When cache hunting first got popular the Missouri Dept of Conservation issued a statement saying they were going to make it illegal. I called them (of course) and talked to them about it, but didn't feel I was making much of an impression.

It was an all together odd conversation. I opened their website while I was talking to him and all the benefits they touted for the land they managed are listed there. But every reason he gave for their wanting to impose restrictions on the pastime were in direct opposition to their own benefits for existing.

So I started pointing this out, and then, at last, I mentioned that I rambled all the time on that public land, and asked if I would be ticketed if I stumbled upon one put there illegally and opened it up.

By the time we were about done the person I talked too said that their response to geocaching was "actually still under review" and he would pass along my concerns and notes of our conversation in their next meeting about it.

I know I was the first to call them about it, because I asked if they'd received any calls about it, but I imagine they got quite a few more calls soon afterward.

It was several months later that they issued another statement saying they would not make it illegal. Since then they've published a few positive articles about it in their monthly magazine.

I'm not sure if the National Forest Service ever really reacted to it. Anyone got a clue about that?

"You want to go where?"

#137322 - 08/06/10 08:28 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: billstephenson]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I haven't tried it either, but saw an outdoor program that featured it that is produced by the local PBS station in Fresno. I saw a site that listed some caches in my neighborhood, so I should go out and give it try. Looks like fun and should be good practice for using my GPSr.

#137328 - 08/06/10 09:45 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: TomD]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
It is quite fun because you never know whats going to be in that box! Plus, its a great way to get out doors when bored and kill a few hours, see some new sights. I am curious as to the National Parks position on this as well....

I cant believe that story btw, lol. Politicians make me laugh, I am so glad you showed them up! Way to go Bill!

#137333 - 08/07/10 12:03 AM Re: Geocaching! [Re: GDeadphans]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
From what I've been able to find out, whether or not geocaching is legal is still up to the individual land managers. Most National Forest people are especially concerned about geocaching in wilderness areas (it concerns me, too) because it appears to violate the Wilderness Act by leaving man-made containers around.

On the other hand, I don't see what it shouldn't be legal elsewhere. There's a lot of non-wilderness National Forest land for that sort of thing. I can see how it would be fun and encourage folks to get into the out-of-doors!

#137340 - 08/07/10 10:27 AM Re: Geocaching! [Re: OregonMouse]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
geocaching is still in its infancy. My worry is the future. While many people enjoy looking for them, a good number also like the hiding of them. As the sport grows the number of caches in sensitive areas will increase, which isn't a bed thing in and of itself. The problem will arise in the future as the number of people who 1. lose interest in managing their boxes, 2. pass away or become otherwise unable to manage their boxes. These leftover boxes end up as "trash" left in the woods. The number of them right now is insignificant, but it will grow. There is an offshoot of geocaching, i cannot remember the name, but it doesn't involve leaving an actual box. I would like to see the geocaching community push for this type of activity and perhaps incorporate the social networking concept to create virtual boxes, logbooks, tokens, etc... The finder can take a photo of their token with their GPS showing the coordinates, or the unique landmark to verify their location and post it to the "stasher's" facebook style page on the virtual geocache website, call it GeoBook or something. I think there is some money to be made here.

#137343 - 08/07/10 11:09 AM Re: Geocaching! [Re: DTape]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think it really depends. I do a little geocaching.. And I hide the odd cache (GC1W56F)

Now realisticly, most of the ones that I have seen in wilderness areas are actually well maintained. The caching community encourages a couple of things

1) cache maintainers have to maintain their caches
2) "abandoned" caches are either taken over by another maintainer, or removed by a finder.

The caches I have seen outside of urban areas tend to be hidden a bit, and in "nice" places - realisticly - most traditional geocaches are very little different than what is typically kept in a cairn on top of mountains or ridges. So at least in a wilderness setting I've seen it working pretty well so far. To me I see it as very little different than what mountaineers have been doing on summits (with summit registers and the like) for hundreds of years - except for non-mountaineers.

National parks (at least up here) have rules about them as well, so most of them in the parks are essentially "micros" - more or less nothing but a register - typically the size of a film canister hidden in a cairn.

On the flip side, there are definately places I will *NOT* hide a geocache.

Edited by phat (08/07/10 11:16 AM)
Browse my pictures

#137354 - 08/07/10 03:31 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: DTape]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well, I think that there is a logical limit on how many caches will be placed. And I don't see much of a litter issue.

For example, one of the caches I found is in a State Conservation area here (Ruth and Paul Henning). It's not far off a trail that runs through the park. I think this park is about 1500 acres. The people that use the sites that list these caches would not likely encourage more caches in this park. There's just little or no reason for it. The same would apply almost anywhere, it would seem to be a self policing sport.

The issue of "Sensitive Areas" came up in my conversation with the Conservation dept. My first question about that was, "Has that actually happened yet?" The answer was "No". I conceded that a cache could be placed in a sensitive area, and pointed out again that I think the sport would be aware of newbies doing that and respond accordingly, but I also pointed out that traffic to any one cache or location was still very minimal, so it was not a problem begging for a solution at that point. In the years since I have not become aware of this being a problem, but again, I am not active in the sport.

I do like the idea of a "virtual cache". It could even be set up with a virtual "Earthling Doodad box". After you've confirmed your being at the location you get to "Leave" an item, then pick from a list of items that others visitor's have "Left There", and they could mail you the item they've listed. That might draw some sponsorships too wink

I think the sport adds an interesting incentive for those that want to get outdoors. And it certainly provides a fun way to learn to use the tools hiker's use. The number of those that progress onto overnight stays and off trail hikes will really only benefit us all, even the gov agencies that manage our public land.

Finding something is a big part of the fun of getting out. But like phat said, there are places I've been that I would never post on a website. You have to find them on your own, or know me pretty darn good wink

"You want to go where?"

#137355 - 08/07/10 03:45 PM Re: Geocaching! [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
\But like phat said, there are places I've been that I would never post on a website. You have to find them on your own, or know me pretty darn good wink

Exactly.. like that spot in front of the glacier I posted in the last TR I put up smile
Browse my pictures

#137701 - 08/16/10 02:16 AM Re: Geocaching! [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Just did my first geocaching-just around my neighborhood. Found 3 of them, just little boxes with not much room in them for anything. One is just outside my building.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum