Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202776 - 03/11/19 06:03 AM 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System?
mytam Offline

I'm planning to do a 2.5 day hike in the Saguaro Wilderness / Rincon Mountains by Tucson. If you have any insight in that area voice up.

For this trip I'll finally need a reliable filtration system. I've had first hand experience pumping after a long day of hiking and being tired. It wasn't fun. Gravity filters just sounds like a no brainier to me.

I'm eying the Sawyer Complete Water Filter System. They have a 2 liter and a 4 liter system. The four liter system looks nicer, with the spigot and handles. Do you think I'll regret having the large bladders when solo hiking?

#202777 - 03/11/19 08:17 AM Re: 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System? [Re: mytam]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I spend a lot of time in the Rincons.

A lot of your filter choice depends on when you are there. In May and June, most years, I’d recommend something like an MSR Sweetwater; they work well at pulling water up out of pockets between rocks. We’ve had a wet winter this year so the streams may be flowing when you are there. If that’s so then any filter should work but you’ll want some sort of scoop. The water can be pretty skanky though and can quickly clog any filter; be prepared for that.

I carry containers enough for 4 liters. They are not always in use though. The water at some of the designated camps is not always reliable so it a good idea to water up when the opportunity arises. You can get reasonably up-to-date water reports at the visitors center. CHECK! In my experience, you can fairly reliably find water at Manning Camp, Cedar Basin and Happy Vally Saddle (you might need to look hard there), Mud Hole Spring and in The Devil’s Bathtub drainage. Not so reliable are Italy Camp, Deer Head Spring, Grass Shack and Spud Rock; it depends on time of year and prior conditions. If things are generally dry I carry three liters, if things are wet I just carry a liter.

My containers are two one-liter repurposed Schweppe’s tonic bottles and a two liter Platypus collapsible bottle.

Be sure to get a permit.

PM me if I can give you more info.

#202780 - 03/11/19 11:57 AM Re: 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System? [Re: Pika]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I wanted to second Pika's concern about clogging filters. I once camped in the Superstition wilderness during a rain storm. It was nice to be in the desert and not have to worry about water, but all of that new run off meant the water was all very murky. It was nice to have a filter that was easy to clean (I think we also had an MSR) compared to gravity filter. We would pump half a liter, pull out the filter, clean off the layer of silt, rinse, and repeat.

#202782 - 03/11/19 12:21 PM Re: 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System? [Re: BZH]
Pika Online   content

Originally Posted By BZH
I wanted to second Pika's concern about clogging filters. I once camped in the Superstition wilderness during a rain storm. It was nice to be in the desert and not have to worry about water, but all of that new run off meant the water was all very murky. It was nice to have a filter that was easy to clean (I think we also had an MSR) compared to gravity filter. We would pump half a liter, pull out the filter, clean off the layer of silt, rinse, and repeat.

“Fond” memories. As I recall, your half-liter per cleaning is spot-on. If you are not dealing with silt, you are filtering out various protozoa which leave a jelly-like layer in the filter. Once I had to filter my water from a rock tank that had a dead coyote floating in it. Surprisingly, the water didn’t taste all that bad but I didn’t drink any more of it than I needed. It is funny how lack of alternatives can change one’s mind-set.

#202801 - 03/20/19 02:54 PM Re: 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System? [Re: Pika]
grit Online   content

Loc: Happy Jack, AZ
Pika,

I, too, have spend many nights in the Rincons, beginning in 1967.

I recognize all your references to water sources except for two. Is Italy Camp the same as Italian Spring? And is Cedar Basin also known as Juniper Basin?

If not, it looks like I've got more exploring to do!

#202803 - 03/20/19 05:52 PM Re: 2 or 4 liter Sawyer Complete Water Filter System? [Re: grit]
Pika Online   content

Senior moment😀. You have the names right!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum