Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197566 - 02/01/17 07:22 PM All leather hiking boots
OhioPaddler Offline

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Kind of striking out here and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm looking for an all leather hiking boot that is NOT waterproof. All I've found is the Lowa Renegade LL mid or and the Timberland Euro hiker. I can almost buy three pairs of the Timberlands for the price of of the Lowa's. Anybody have any other ideas?

#197567 - 02/01/17 08:50 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That's why I originally switched to trail runners--I couldn't find any leather boots that weren't Goretex (which leaves my feet feeling as though they're in a sauna). Once I switched, I never wanted to wear boots again!

#197568 - 02/01/17 09:29 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
The last leather boots I ever wore were Vasque Sundowners. Mine were Gore Tex lined, but I seem to remember they also made them without Gore Tex? (That's been 10 years ago - I may be misremembering, or they may not even make Sundowners any more.)

#197570 - 02/01/17 09:45 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The market has mostly moved on from all-leather hiking boots, but especially moved away from non-waterproof versions, so if your heart is set upon a pair (for whatever reason) you will have to pay the price for a specialty item in what has become a small niche market. frown

However, the good news is that the main purpose of a hiking boot is to protect your feet and provide some traction and stability, and this can be accomplished by boots that are not all-leather. So, even if you can't get your heart's desire, you can still get something functional. If you are worried about long-wear and sturdiness, at least one of our forum members swears by modern infantry combat boots and they certainly are not flimsy!

#197572 - 02/02/17 07:55 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OregonMouse]
OhioPaddler Offline

Yeah, my feet also start to feel like I've walked through a swamp when wearing waterproof boots for an extended period of time. It has never really damaged my feet but I just wanted to try moving in a different direction because of this. I already have trail runners which are fine for some situations, but my comfort level is with boots. I work commercial construction so I'm use to slogging around in heavy leather boots. Leather hiking boots feel like there is nothing there compared to work boots.

My reason for wanting leather boots is for multiple reasons. First and least important is that they are aesthetically pleasing to me. Obviously they are a very durable option. I suppose the most important reason is the inherent water resistance leather provides since I'm looking for something that does not have a waterproof liner. From my experience a leather boot with no waterproof liner is better than a boot with mesh construction and a liner with a hole in it.

Do the split grain/synthetic/mesh constructed boots with Gore-Tex liners breath any better than their leather counterparts? My guess would be slightly but you would then be fully relying on the liner to provide the protection.

#197575 - 02/02/17 11:42 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]

If it's Goretex, IMHO, it doesn't breathe worth a hoot. My own experience with a couple of expensive Goretex rain jackets, vs. either polyurethane-coated nylon or silicone-impregnated nylon, is that GT doesn't breathe any better than fully coated nylon. Unlike coated nylon or silnylon, though, Goretex isn't waterproof. With boots, I also found on several occasions that once the goretex-lined boots get wet, they take several days to dry even when set out in warm sunshine.

Don't take my word for it, check out Andrew Skurka's blog about rain gear and so-called "waterproof-breathable" fabrics: here.

Unfortunately, if you want high quality leather (and I don't blame you!), you're going to have to pay a lot of $$$. Worth if, IMHO, if you can get a good fit and find a well-made brand that won't fall apart first thing. You may have to go the custom-made route.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/02/17 12:18 PM)

#197576 - 02/02/17 01:31 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OregonMouse]
OhioPaddler Offline

Thanks for the reply. I have read Andrew's blog before about the "waterproof" boots and he makes a lot of good points. I've had decent luck with Timberland in the past so I may give them a go so I don't get $200+ deep into an experiment where I end up wishing I hadn't.

#197613 - 02/07/17 03:10 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Have you looked at Red Wings or what Ranger Joes is carrying? Possibly at Belleville or Danner?

I have a set of waterproof Bellevilles, which are comfortable for an industrial environment, but you may be able to find "combat boots" or hikers that aren't lined in one of those places.

As for me, I'll stick with my running shoes.

#197637 - 02/08/17 09:10 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: Steadman]
OhioPaddler Offline

Everything from Danner was a bit more then what I was willing to cough up. I suppose I didn't really think of Red Wings since my experience with them is heavy work boots. My Timberlands just came in yesterday. Hopefully they get more comfortable as they break in because right now I'm not impressed.

#197762 - 02/22/17 02:41 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
I have a pair of Scarpa SL Activ. They're almost waterproof but not from a Goretex liner just treated leather. Pretty comfy so far with minimal break-in. Support is there but not super stiff. True to (euro 45) size for me. Picked them up for $200 USD about a year ago. List for $300. Only bought them because my Montrails had become unrepairable after 13 years and who knows how many miles. Sure wish they still made them.

#197815 - 02/27/17 07:32 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
Va3Pinner Offline

Hello there - First post in this forum, signed up just to answer this question.
Last year I purchased a nice all leather boot from SierraTradingPost, the Alico Summit. They have several Alico boots, all leather with a leather lining and Norwegian welt. No Goretex. Break in time for me was minimal (I wear steel toe workboots all day long). Made in Italy.

They remind me of the Fabiano boots from the 1970's, similar construction and feel. You might want to check these out.
Then there's always Limmer's. Top of the line!

#197818 - 02/27/17 08:03 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: Va3Pinner]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Welcome, and thanks for the info.

#197822 - 02/27/17 11:02 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: Va3Pinner]

Welcome, and thank you! Limmer's was the name I couldn't find for the OP!

#197824 - 02/28/17 10:07 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OregonMouse]
tramp Offline

Might get around to buying a pair of custom Limmers. Wait list is as long as the price is high.

#197828 - 02/28/17 07:54 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
Va3Pinner Offline

Thank you for the welcome! Did a bit of digging after posting. The Alico Summit is the one that has the leather lining. Sierra Trading Post is out of many sizes, but there are still plenty on EBay. Also for those interested, they run wide, I purchased my normal shoe size, and my usual 1/2 size larger for a hiking boot. The normal shoe size fit the best, still plenty of room for Superfeet insoles and 2 pair of socks.
Yeah I'm really old school about some things!

#197857 - 03/02/17 02:12 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: Va3Pinner]
OhioPaddler Offline

Va3Pinner, thanks for the info. I'll give them a look!

#197880 - 03/06/17 05:48 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
OhioPaddler Offline

Well, went out and did a 4 mile hike in Mohican State Park yesterday and don't think I can wear the Timberland Euro hikers anymore. My other Timberlands were some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned but these are just an awkward pair of boots. Just so happened that there was a used pair of Alico Summit boots for sale on ebay in my size. They are on their way and should be here by Thursday. Thanks for the suggestion Va3pinner. I'm going to give them a shot.

#198032 - 03/24/17 07:55 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
tramp Offline

Well how'd they work out?

#198035 - 03/26/17 08:12 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: tramp]
OhioPaddler Offline

Well, the Alico Summit's are pretty much what you hear about them; beautifully made and very, very heavy. These remind me more of a work boot then a hiking boot. Weight is somewhere north of 4lbs. for the pair and the footbeds are very thin so those will probably be getting replaced. The leather liner is very comfortable and will be easy to wipe down in case the inside of the boot gets damp. Overall, I'm pretty happy with them especially since I bought them for $25 smile These will be fine for short trips and in the cooler months but I don't see lugging these around on long hikes or backpacking trips. They simply are too heavy.

#198157 - 04/16/17 06:23 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
Va3Pinner Offline

A bit late for reply - but glad you like 'em. 4lbs?? mine are closer to 3, and they are much lighter than the steel toe safety boots I wear all week! So I use them for both day and 4-5 day long BP trips. $25.00?? if I find another pair that price they're mine!
I have a pair of Zamberlan Goretex lined boots that I used for years, and they are no lighter.
Like I said, I'm kinda old school about some things
Happy hiking!

#198184 - 04/20/17 08:58 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OregonMouse]
heelydavid Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
That's why I originally switched to trail runners--I couldn't find any leather boots that weren't Goretex (which leaves my feet feeling as though they're in a sauna). Once I switched, I never wanted to wear boots again!

Your suggestion Is good

#198300 - 05/05/17 01:48 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: heelydavid]
lee white Offline

Loc: suzhou
I think so.

#201068 - 06/03/18 01:44 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: OhioPaddler]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
The Danner Mountain Pass boots are goretex except for the light color leather option, which sounds strange but it's true. Can't remember the color but I'd send them an email asking about it if interested in them

#201173 - 06/13/18 04:24 AM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: troutstalker]
Prainz Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I personally have had 6" danner boots used for hiking,
But every third day im in my cocoran 10 inch model 978's, my feet are in them for around 20 to 24 hours a day with some breaks for airing out, for those of yall who want to know they are made by the cove shoe co. Here in PA still,
they also produce forgive my spelling Matterhorn boots also, you can pick up a pair of 978's for around 115.00 bucks, the sizing says tru to size but order a wide if your a reg.
Ive a co-worker that wears Matterhorn he swears by them.
Might pick up an less expensive pair and try on a short 4 day trip.

By the way the reason I prefer an 8 inch or taller is that my ankle rolls quite often, so thats why i also wear the corcorans, other than there tought boots for my line of work and they hold a shine, its hell on the trail when you roll an ankle

Edited by Prainz (06/13/18 04:24 AM)

#201175 - 06/13/18 02:14 PM Re: All leather hiking boots [Re: Prainz]

Interesting--I always had problems with ankles turning/rolling (several times leading to potentially serious falls) when I wore boots. When I switched to supportive trail runners (with pronation and stability control), I tried deliberately to turn my ankles and couldn't! Since I made the switch, I have had no more problems with ankle-turning!

It turns out that it's the footbed, not that piece of leather around your ankles, that provides the stability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum