Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177215 - 05/21/13 10:46 AM New to the forum
gc1124 Offline

Loc: texas
Just wanted to say a quick hello to every one here. Im new to the forum and a beginning backpacker as well.....

#177217 - 05/21/13 10:59 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! We have several Texans here on the forum!

#177224 - 05/21/13 12:39 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
"We have several Texans here on the forums."

...and we don't hold that against them. smile

Welcome - be sure to jump in with questions and advice. It's great to have a variety of regions represented; techniques and gear needs vary in different parts of the country.

Where's your favorite spot to backpack?

#177255 - 05/22/13 06:44 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: Glenn Roberts]
gc1124 Offline

thanks for the welcomes.....
I'm completely new to this. Ive done plenty of car camping and other types of roughing it so to speak but never backpacked with the exception of some very short day hikes....I have a wife and 6yr old that ill be taking with me so im trying to prepare for 3...

#177261 - 05/22/13 12:09 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
OregonMouse Offline

Have you checked out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column?

#177265 - 05/22/13 01:04 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Welcome, once more.

The biggest tendency for newbies to backpacking is to overpack, especially clothes. There is a natural conflict between wanting to have the lightest pack you can manage, and yet bring every comfort of home and to have the security of covering every "what-if" you can think of. New bp'ers invariably swing to the side of comfort and security. The more experience you gain, the more you'll swing over to the lighter pack side of the street. This is the normal process at least. A very few newbies err on the side of being underprepared, but if you have a 6 year old that just isn't in the cards for you.

The articles OregonMouse pointed you to are very helpful at showing you what it is possible to achieve in the way of light weight, without sacrificing anything that is necessary for your safety or basic comfort. The people in this forum can help straighten you out when you have specific questions. It's a very knowlegable and friendly place.

Happy hiking and have fun!

#177269 - 05/22/13 01:47 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

There's a good set of posts on our local hiking forum (I say that even though I contributed some of it) here. Lots of links that should help you.

Note that on the home page there's an excellent article on backpacking with kids by Penny S. We also have sections of this forum devoted to beginners and to backpacking with kids that you might want to browse through.

Feel free to come back with specific questions!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/22/13 01:48 PM)

#177272 - 05/22/13 03:09 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: OregonMouse]
gc1124 Offline

Ill get to those left and right hand columns as soon as im done browsing these forums. might be awhile lol.. I figured just like you said Aimless, Ill probably overpack untill i realize just what i do and dont need. I just bought me a Kelty redcloud 90 and it looks like i could make that pack pretty heavy if im not careful. It looks pretty big, but it was the only one that fit comfortably....and i cant seem to find a pack that fits my wife the way she wants so i might just be carrying everything anyways lol.....

#177273 - 05/22/13 03:23 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
looks like i could make that pack pretty heavy if im not careful

I feel like a oldtimer member of AA watching a new member lift a glass of beer to his lips. Fight that urge!

#177275 - 05/22/13 04:03 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
OregonMouse Offline

One reason I suggested those home page articles on gear selection is their strong recommendation that you wait to buy a backpack until you have purchased your other gear. Hopefully the one you bought will be returnable if it turns out to be too big! It sounds a bit big even for "sherpa-ing" for kids! Anyway, I suggest you read those before purchasing more gear!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/22/13 04:05 PM)

#177278 - 05/22/13 04:43 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
nice to meet Offline

I have a question for you all here... Hiking with backpacks what would be an idea pack for a 10-16 year old... I know this depends on their fitness... but new to this. Plus what are the top brands people are rating the highest?

#177288 - 05/22/13 09:41 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: nice to meet]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By nice to meet
I have a question for you all here... Hiking with backpacks what would be an idea pack for a 10-16 year old... I know this depends on their fitness... but new to this. Plus what are the top brands people are rating the highest?
Their fitness has little to do with what pack you get. How much weight you put in the pack, yes.

For Scouts the Golite Jam is a nice pack for a decent price. Only real problem is not adjustable so you'd need to go up a size at some point. The other problem with the large size is the hipbelt is too big (unless the Scout is pretty thick).

My paper was written with Scout-age in mind.

#177289 - 05/22/13 09:56 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: nice to meet]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I like Deuter and Osprey packs; both make kid-specific adjustable-torso packs. I use an adult Deuter ACT Zero pack right now, and believe the suspension is somewhat more supportive than the Osprey packs; if that comparison also holds true for youth packs, I'd suggest looking at the Deuter youth packs first.

I think REI makes some kid-specific packs under their house brand, too.

#177295 - 05/23/13 12:40 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

I concur with topshot's paper! It's a great resource for all beginners, not just Scouts!

I also concur with Glenn on the Deuter youth packs. They are extremely comfortable, very supportive and infinitely adjustable. They are also a good price (under $100) and, because of their popularity and quality, quite resaleable after they're outgrown. I'm about to get a Deuter Fox 40 for my 13-year-old grandson, who can now carry more than will fit in the Fox 30. Too much fishing gear!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/23/13 12:45 AM)

#177297 - 05/23/13 06:43 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: OregonMouse]
gc1124 Offline

Good morning OM. I already have the majority of the gear i need since ive been car camping. All i need to do is scale it down because i wont be in my vehicle. the pack i bought is for me. It was comfortable when i tried it on and as for the size i figured i would be carrying most of the load anyways. my Son has his own back pack with his sleeping bag in it and thats all. I have yet to find a pack that fits my wife comfortably. the only thing i really need to get right now besides a pack for the wife is a backpackers tent or maybe even hammocks.

#177485 - 05/31/13 12:01 AM Re: New to the forum [Re: aimless]
VanDan Offline

Loc: Vancouver, WA
[quote=aimless]Welcome, once more.

The biggest tendency for newbies to backpacking is to overpack, especially clothes. "

-That is very true. I for one am guilty of this. Still new to backpacking but I learned my lesson very early on.

#177533 - 06/01/13 10:28 PM Re: New to the forum [Re: gc1124]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By gc1124
I have yet to find a pack that fits my wife comfortably.
If she is smart, she will never find one that fits comfortably so that you will have to carry the load. laugh

And welcome

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 280 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum