Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115112 - 04/28/09 11:11 PM Bear Canisters now required in RMNP
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Rocky Mountain National Park now requires bear canisters in order to get a backcountry camping permit.
Denver Post Article

Edited by OregonMouse (04/28/09 11:16 PM)
Edit Reason: To correct URL!

#115116 - 04/29/09 12:08 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: OregonMouse]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Sadly, I believe that canisters are the future for almost any bear habitat. There was once a day when no one purified water. I think canister use will become a similar paradigm shift in bear country.

Hopefully increasing demand will spur new technology and result in ever lighter and cheaper canisters. I won't say smaller because the current minimal dimension of about 8" is just big enough to keep the whole thing out of a bear's mouth.

Once you get used to them they're really not so bad. And they make a fair camp chair. Not to mention a washing machine.

#115122 - 04/29/09 08:15 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Trailrunner]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Sadly, I believe that canisters are the future for almost any bear habitat. There was once a day when no one purified water. I think canister use will become a similar paradigm shift in bear country.

Hopefully increasing demand will spur new technology and result in ever lighter and cheaper canisters. I won't say smaller because the current minimal dimension of about 8" is just big enough to keep the whole thing out of a bear's mouth.

Once you get used to them they're really not so bad. And they make a fair camp chair. Not to mention a washing machine.

I believe you are correct about the future of bear canisters, however I wanted to comment on your purifying water reference. It is interesting that the push for water purification and the belief that backwoods water is contaminated came about at similar times to the bottled water frenzy. People have been conditioned to believe that tap water is bad and thus it is easy to convince them the backwoods water is also bad/worse. I have come across little evidence to support either contention. In fact an email sent to water testers at Paul Smiths College in the Adirondacks regarding water being contaminated yielded an interesting response. To their knowlege no one has ever done a study investigating the water for biological contamination, the only testing is for pH levels and other non-biological measures.

edit: they do count fish and loon populations so those two biological measures are done. I was writing about biological pathogens.

Edited by DTape (04/29/09 08:16 AM)

#115126 - 04/29/09 09:47 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: DTape]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
I'd have to agree with the water purification. It really kind of just depends on where you are. In places where lot's of people hike and horses and dogs accompany, probably best to purify. But when you get back far enough and closer to the sources, pruification is less necessary. I mean, I drank a whole Nalgene bottle of creek water in the middle of the Sawtooths here before I had my purifier, and I never had any problems because the source wasn't terribly far away and not too much traffic back there at all. It is always a risk of course anywhere.

As for bear canisters, I don't really see it as a bad thing. There aren't enough responsible backpackers who know how to take care of what they do with their food properly when bears are around. It's probably best for both parties at the end of the day.

#115135 - 04/29/09 12:09 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: DTape]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Not really. The U.S. Forest Service in California began issuing water quality warnings for the backcountry--specific to giardia--in the early '80s, easily a decade or more before the bottled water craze. It took a long time for the concept and the marketplace to gel. Early filters were very clunky and a lot were from the cottage industry, not the big makers we have today. Other than that there were iodine and boiling. Of course since then, effective marketing has really increased the sense of need on the part of the consumer--warranted or not. Two big reasons remote water quality issues got traction were the re-authorization of the Clean Water Act, which added regulation of small and seasonal water systems, and concerns about people with immuno-supression diseases.

I note this a someone who used to hike with a Sierra cup clipped to my pack so I could drink from streams I crossed in the Cascades.

Originally Posted By DTape

I believe you are correct about the future of bear canisters, however I wanted to comment on your purifying water reference. It is interesting that the push for water purification and the belief that backwoods water is contaminated came about at similar times to the bottled water frenzy. People have been conditioned to believe that tap water is bad and thus it is easy to convince them the backwoods water is also bad/worse. I have come across little evidence to support either contention. In fact an email sent to water testers at Paul Smiths College in the Adirondacks regarding water being contaminated yielded an interesting response. To their knowlege no one has ever done a study investigating the water for biological contamination, the only testing is for pH levels and other non-biological measures.

edit: they do count fish and loon populations so those two biological measures are done. I was writing about biological pathogens.

#115147 - 04/29/09 02:41 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Rick_D]
DTape Offline

IIRC bottled water craze (beginning of the increase to todays consumption) also began in the late 70's/early 80's. I agree that the different regulations surrounding water quality were the catalyst for both consumer demands. That was my point that the consumer perception began approx the same time even though there was, not one of cause/effect. I apologize if I implied that.

Note: I still have my sierra cups. I do not use them, as I have switched to lighter alternatives. But I do still dip and sip.

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Not really. The U.S. Forest Service in California began issuing water quality warnings for the backcountry--specific to giardia--in the early '80s, easily a decade or more before the bottled water craze. It took a long time for the concept and the marketplace to gel. Early filters were very clunky and a lot were from the cottage industry, not the big makers we have today. Other than that there were iodine and boiling. Of course since then, effective marketing has really increased the sense of need on the part of the consumer--warranted or not. Two big reasons remote water quality issues got traction were the re-authorization of the Clean Water Act, which added regulation of small and seasonal water systems, and concerns about people with immuno-supression diseases.

I note this a someone who used to hike with a Sierra cup clipped to my pack so I could drink from streams I crossed in the Cascades.

Edited by DTape (04/29/09 02:45 PM)

#115151 - 04/29/09 03:35 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: DTape]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just to be clear, I never meant to imply that all backcountry water needs to be filtered. On the contrary, I did the entire High Sierra Trail last summer without treating a drop.

Filters are usually a precaution, often used when not really needed. The same can be said for bear canisters. Most people who carry them will probably never see a bear.

#115159 - 04/29/09 07:54 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Trailrunner]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
The same can be said for bear canisters. Most people who carry them will probably never see a bear.

It's a precaution though, and as far as I'm concerned, if bears live in the area, they're not a bad thing to have despite the room they take up and the added weight. Yeah, you might not see a bear, but bear cans aren't really for if you see a bear on the trail. If you use the thing right, you probably shouldn't ever see it or the bear that might be trying to get in it. But the likelyhood of seeing a bear doesn't make it any less necessary.

I mean, most people aren't going to get into a car accident but we still should wear our seatbelts.

#115166 - 04/29/09 09:35 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: OregonMouse]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I HATE bear canisters! I'm sick of these ridiculous regulations. It's typical American overreaction and if people are too stupid to know proper food-storage techniques while in the backcountry, they shouldn't be out there. Now, the rest of us have to lug around those F-ing bulky, heavy things because of all the tourons. mad

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#115176 - 04/29/09 11:07 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: jasonklass]
Ulhiker Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Jason:
Next time, please tell us how you really feel. Try not to hold back so much.
Sorry, buddy. Just had to give you a hard time.
Seriously, I hate the idea of carrying a bear canister, just because people have been sloppy in the past as far as taking precautions to protect their food. I'm having to buy a new pack this summer to thru-hike the JMT, just to carry the stupid canister.
Oz

#115199 - 04/30/09 08:52 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Ulhiker]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Look at how people hang food where it isn't required. An 90 year old granny could grab the food. I think a big part of the problem is people not knowing what a bear is capable of doing. Like many peoples work, just half ashed.

#115203 - 04/30/09 10:06 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: jasonklass]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By jasonklass
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I HATE bear canisters! I'm sick of these ridiculous regulations. It's typical American overreaction and if people are too stupid to know proper food-storage techniques while in the backcountry, they shouldn't be out there. Now, the rest of us have to lug around those F-ing bulky, heavy things because of all the tourons. mad

It's probably cheaper to require canisters than hiring rangers to oversee food hanging tests to verify people aren't tourons.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115204 - 04/30/09 10:11 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: jasonklass]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd get their heads out of their posteriors and approve ursacks and stuff.. but again, you have the problem of tourons not knowing how to use them.

Browse my pictures

#115226 - 04/30/09 03:00 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: jasonklass]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
How many tourons will get a canister? Not many. It might eliminate the high percentage of tourons now. Unless they can rent them...and then use them improperly, so it's all moot anyway.

#115230 - 04/30/09 04:00 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: lori]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
This really is the standard bureaucratic approach. You ignore the problem or make some sort of token gesture and hope the whole thing goes away. Of course it doesn't so when it gets bad you overreact with some poorly thought out draconian regulation.

#115233 - 04/30/09 05:43 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: leadfoot]
DTape Offline

Most tourons don't even learn about the regulations of their desired location. They would still go and continue to provide bears with easily accessible food perpetuating the problem while the rest of us either comply with the regulation, or choose alternative locations. While a few tourons might get 'caught" by forest rangers or other enforcement, the majority will likely not.

Edited by DTape (04/30/09 05:44 PM)

#115234 - 04/30/09 06:14 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: DTape]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Interesting that most bear problems are in national parks, not national forests. It's partly more front-country tourons plus the USNPS habit of relocating problem bears to the backcounty to prey on us backpackers, but I suspect the main reason is that bears are definitely more wary of people in locations where they are hunted.

Not that there aren't bear problems in some locations in national forests, but most of the time you'll never see or hear of a bear outside of a national park. If you do see one, it's usually the hind end of a bear that's heading in the opposite direction at full speed.

That being said, proper food storage is essential no matter where you are.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/30/09 07:00 PM)
Edit Reason: correction--NPS, not USPS!

#115238 - 04/30/09 06:57 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: OregonMouse]
Knaight Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Just did my first trip with a bear canister. My wife and I are from MA but went out to Sequoia NP for a 5 day/4 night trip.

They're required out there, so we bought one canister ahead of time so we could figure out how to get enough food in it, and succeeded in keeping our stuff small enough to fit enough food for both of us for the entire trip, plus our garbage and toiletries. It was a close fit, but it worked.

I have to say, I didn't mind it nearly as much as I thought I would. We got to our first campsite pretty late in the day and it was a luxury to not have to find a suitable place for a bear bag and deal with setting it up. It's also much easier to access the canister if you need to get something out or put something in that you forgot about. Even better, you don't have to worry about rodents either.

The peace of mind and convenience is worth the 3 lbs in my opinion, and I'll be taking the canister with me from now on. It's pretty amazing what you can fit in those things if you put the effort in, and like I said, to me it's worth the weight.

#115239 - 04/30/09 07:08 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: DTape]
lori Offline

Most tourons don't even learn about the regulations of their desired location. They would still go and continue to provide bears with easily accessible food perpetuating the problem while the rest of us either comply with the regulation, or choose alternative locations. While a few tourons might get 'caught" by forest rangers or other enforcement, the majority will likely not.

Not true in Yosemite. No canister, no permit, and they do patrol the trails all hours of the day.

A couple was forced to rent a Garcia even tho they swore they would eat all their food the first day and have nothing but trash hiking out the following morning. The ranger said "bears eat trash" and gave them a canister. Very upset tourons, but it was only five dollars to rent it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115242 - 04/30/09 07:54 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: lori]
DTape Offline

Originally Posted By lori

Not true in Yosemite. No canister, no permit, and they do patrol the trails all hours of the day.

A couple was forced to rent a Garcia even tho they swore they would eat all their food the first day and have nothing but trash hiking out the following morning. The ranger said "bears eat trash" and gave them a canister. Very upset tourons, but it was only five dollars to rent it.

I am not familiar with Yosemite, thanks for the info. If they are going to have the regulation it is good they are able to (and will) enforce it.

#115309 - 05/01/09 06:08 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: OregonMouse]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Or an enormous pile of still steaming poo, complete with berries!

#115333 - 05/02/09 01:43 AM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Folkalist]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Folkalist
Or an enormous pile of still steaming poo, complete with berries!

Browse my pictures

#115367 - 05/02/09 09:55 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: phat]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I already knew what it looks like, goofball! Saw enough of it in the Monongahela last fall. Now, why you actually have a pic of it, that's another question. Let me get a glass of wine first . . .

#115466 - 05/04/09 12:52 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Folkalist]
Salik Offline

Loc: Elgin, IL
When it says RMNP, this is only referring to the actual park, not some of the wildernesses that are on the CDT, right?

#115497 - 05/04/09 09:29 PM Re: Bear Canisters now required in RMNP [Re: Trailrunner]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I can count on one hand the times that I did NOT see a bear on a trip. On several trips I saw up to 10 bears in 4 days! I see bears ALL the time! Once you really start looking for wildlife and go solo (quiet) you will see a lot more than you think.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum