Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172658 - 12/05/12 09:32 AM Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course)
wshsedd Offline

Hello, I am currently working on a project in which myself and two others are attempting to design a device to help decrease the number of cold weather issues. I would greatly appreciate if you could take a minute to take our survey. Comment below if you have any additional information the could help. Thank you in advance.

(admin's note to op: if you want to conduct a survey you may do so within the confines of this forum. We suspect Survey Monkey is used to mine user ip's for advertising/spamming purposes and do not allow it's use here.)

Edited by packlite (12/07/12 07:03 PM)

#172681 - 12/05/12 05:21 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: wshsedd]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
1. I live in the North, which wasn't an option frown
2. The problem with heated clothing is primarly energy - batteries - they either way too much (or are akward!) or don't last long enough. I might be out 8+ hours.

My biggest weather issue is keeping my water from freezing.

#172684 - 12/05/12 06:44 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: wshsedd]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have both played (winter mountaineering in Wyoming) and worked (field geology) in very cold weather. Keeping my fingers warm when I need finger dexterity was a major problem when working (writing field notes and handling soil samples). Actually, keeping my core warm was not as big an issue. Wind is an added problem.

As for water, we used to melt snow and heat it before pouring in the water bottle, then take it inside the sleeping bag, tucked up against our bellies, like a hot water bottle. Worked, but there always was anxiety concerning leakage of the bottle.

#172739 - 12/06/12 08:25 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: wandering_daisy]
Heather-ak Offline

Yeah, I do that overnight - I was more thinking while I'm hiking or snowmachining - the stupid tube to my camelback freezes, so I end up having a water bottle and a bottle "parka", which means I drink less water cuz I hate fumbling around with it. I often wear my camelback inside my parka, which has so far worked okay.

2nd the finger dexterity issue.

#172752 - 12/07/12 09:30 AM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: wshsedd]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My body is able to generate a lot of heat. As long as I have proper insulation, and proper outer covering to mitigate the weather, my body is able to keep me warm.

#172756 - 12/07/12 10:59 AM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I too have never had problems keeping my core warm; it's hands and feet that occasionally have problems. Of course it's generally pretty mild out here in the Pacific NW, but I did grow up in Wyoming, walking to school in occasional -40F (also -40 in Celsius) temperatures. Yes, I know, all of us old folks have such goodies to report. laugh There was a school bus, but after consistently waiting for 10-15 minutes during every cold spell, I decided that I was warmer walking! Actually, this still goes on; my grandson has to walk a mile each way to his junior high school in the Seattle suburbs.

Because of the limited life of batteries, it seems to me that relying on them, instead of on adequate insulation, for warmth in cold weather would be extremely dangerous.

The last thing I want are more batteries (which in winter have to be kept from freezing and therefore have to spend the night in my sleeping bag) or, horrors, wires, no matter how thin, next to my skin!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/07/12 07:43 PM)

#172779 - 12/07/12 08:17 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: Heather-ak]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Heather, I have a cold weather Camelback with an insulated bladder and tube. No idea how it works in really cold weather, though. I actually prefer water bottles, even in a cozy. I also made a cozy out of blue foam for my insulated thermos style bottle.

#172786 - 12/08/12 11:17 AM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: TomD]
Brotherbob12 Offline

Loc: Sweden
I have used bladder and hose in winter and if I keep it under shell clothes it does not freeze. Frequent drinking and to blow hose free from water after each zip also helps keeping it from freezing.

If I could trust a battery heating system like you suggested it might be practical in some situations. I could carry less insulation, but if the battery fails I would be in a worse situation than without it so I would not use it. I agree with others that hands and feet are more of a problem to keep warm than the torso.

#172982 - 12/12/12 05:02 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: TomD]
Heather-ak Offline

Yeah - I've done all the above (insulated tube does okay above 0F.) Around -20F it still freezes and blowing back the water (which I do) ends up "blowing" up the container itself. When I cross-country ski (my cut off temp is -20F) I've given up on the camelback all together and hook my bottle parka up to an old duffle bag shoulder handle and string that around diagonally on the body. I'm just whinning cuz I have to stop to drink =)

Speaking of cold weather and snow - We FINALLY have enough for me to ski as of this morning - course it is supposed to drop down to -50F this weekend... mad

#173095 - 12/15/12 06:53 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: Heather-ak]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Heather
We may get enough snow in the next 48 to ski out the back door. Please send some more down this way.

Did anyone mention rubbing cayanne pepper on your feet prior to skiing? Think it was a 49er thing?

I'm going to make some over "mukluks" for my back country ski boots this year. I'm tired of cold toes. Reminds me of ice skating in Illinois as a youth.
Jim grin

#173139 - 12/17/12 04:28 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: Jimshaw]
Heather-ak Offline

Unfortunately, Cayenne pepper causes sweating frown - but there are other herbs that encourage circulation... hmmm may have to do some research smile

I use my downhill ski neoprene over warmers on my cross country / light touring boots, and that does help. I've also been known to use the lil' hotties for toes heaters (snowmobiling.)

How about we keep the snow and send the -40F your way instead? Right now it is too cold to enjoy the beautiful snow. mad

#173140 - 12/17/12 05:10 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: Heather-ak]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
IIRC, garlic, ginger and cinnamon are good for ones circulation. I believe the benefits are from ingesting the herbs and not topical use.

#173143 - 12/17/12 07:42 PM Re: Cold Weather Survey (for a HS engineering course) [Re: DTape]
Heather-ak Offline

Well, in the case of mustard and cayenne - using them as a poultice will also increase circulation. =)

I know I recently came across an herb that when ingested increased circulation to extremities - I though how interesting at the time, must remember this one... and then I forgot. blush

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com