Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159209 - 12/24/11 10:26 AM Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
After months of testing, I've found my favorite. The recipe is my own. If published, just give credit to Gershon.

My criteria for cooking is 300 calories/serving, 1.5 pounds for 3,000 calories in a day. 30% fat, 15% protein over the day. Cost less than $5.00 a day. Everything can be cooked in a 2 cup pot. (The size of the pot with my SVEA 123 stove.) Each serving must fit in a small Ziplock snack bag.

This recipe will not respond well to adding hot water and waiting as the carob won't melt well and the grain won't absorb enough water. I simmer it in the pot until it is bubbling well and the mixture turns chocolate color from the carob melting. Be sure to stir to the bottom or there will be clumps on the bottom.

I add water to the mixture so it is about 3/8 inch from the top of the 2 cup pot. It looks soupy at first, but thickens as it's simmered.

All measurements are in grams.

#159266 - 12/26/11 02:31 PM Re: Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I would have to double it! I am a big breakfast eater. Sounds yummy! I totally agree that taking non-instant grains and cooking them a bit is far superior to the instant "add water" grains. I like to vary breakfast grains- oatmeal, Malt-o-meal, cous-cous, barley, cream of rice. Also I vary my nuts- almonds one day, walnuts next, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. Same with fruit. For long duration trips, the variety is great. Also spice up breakfast with cinnamon, allspice (my favorite). Chocolate flavors in breakfast cereal is not something I would like. Sometimes I dice up a little summer sausage and dump in the cereal. And to add calories, I always put a spoon of margarine in the cereal. To boost protein I add a spoon of Nido and one spoon of TVP.

My criteria are a bit different. I aim for 20% protein since a protiens are incomplete so I feel I need more overall for a better chance of getting enough complete protein. I do not get too focused on the cost but do avoid packaged freeze-dried meals (I simply do not like them). I do splurge and buy the freeze-dried fruit. Diced dates are also a favorite of mine.

#159273 - 12/27/11 08:41 AM Re: Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal [Re: wandering_daisy]
Texas-grrl Offline

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I would have to double it! I am a big breakfast eater. Sounds yummy! I totally agree that taking non-instant grains and cooking them a bit is far superior to the instant "add water" grains. I like to vary breakfast grains- oatmeal, Malt-o-meal, cous-cous, barley, cream of rice. Also I vary my nuts- almonds one day, walnuts next, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc. Same with fruit. For long duration trips, the variety is great. Also spice up breakfast with cinnamon, allspice (my favorite). Chocolate flavors in breakfast cereal is not something I would like. Sometimes I dice up a little summer sausage and dump in the cereal. And to add calories, I always put a spoon of margarine in the cereal. To boost protein I add a spoon of Nido and one spoon of TVP.

My criteria are a bit different. I aim for 20% protein since a protiens are incomplete so I feel I need more overall for a better chance of getting enough complete protein. I do not get too focused on the cost but do avoid packaged freeze-dried meals (I simply do not like them). I do splurge and buy the freeze-dried fruit. Diced dates are also a favorite of mine.

If a recipe (or ingredient list) names a specific amount of protein, those grams of protein are complete. Incomplete proteins are not listed in the nutritional data because, in essence, they are various amino acids.

Newbie to the site, but I wanted to be sure that you understand the concept.

#159376 - 12/30/11 09:45 PM Re: Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal [Re: Texas-grrl]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Incomplete proteins ARE listed as protein. Case in point- rice- on any package it will say 5 grams of protein per serving. But rice is NOT a complete protein. It lacks lysine. It is a 75% complete protein. A complete protein has to have all the 9 essential amio acids. To make rice complete you can eat other incomplete proteins that contain the missing amino acid- hence-- rice and beans -- a complete protein meal. Because backpack food is primarily a grain-based diet, you CANNOT simply add up protein as stated on box labels and assume you get complete proteins. You have to specifically combine incomplete proteins. Good combinations are: rice with legumes, wheat with milk or milk products. If you were simply to have a meal of rice -- no matter how much rice, even though the box says 5 grams per serving, you will not get a complete protein. Short term this is not a real problem, but long term- say you are out several weeks, it would be a problem. Muscles need complete protein to rebuild.

#159379 - 12/31/11 12:13 AM Re: Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I use this site to evaluate the menu for each day: http://caloriecount.about.com/

You have to log in, but it checks all sorts of things. We all have different needs. Cravings will likely tell us what we are missing. Usually, it's a large vegetarian pizza for me.

#162448 - 02/18/12 08:19 PM Re: Recipe: My Favorite Hot Cereal [Re: wandering_daisy]
JAK Offline

Good stuff their wandering_daisy. Impressive how many traditional diets are complete protiens. I discovered recently oatmeal is very nearly complete, just a little low in lysine. Then when I was reading about conversion of protiens into glucose I read that lysine doesn't convert. I think this might mean if you eat some surplus protien, the lysine is spared in the conversion, so what is left might be complete protien. Does that make sense? Probably moot because you can only scarf back so much oats anyway, and you will still want to balance your diet for vitamins and minerals.

Lately I've been having my oats by sort of frying them in a pan, or my cook pot, with canola oil, and then adding stuff like almonds and sunflower seeds and dried blueberries and dried cranberries. Then adding some skim milk powder and water.

Sardines are also very good fried with oats in canola oil. I like canola oil with fish and oats versus olive oil because it seems to have more of a fishy nutty flavour. Also cheaper. Also experimented lately with oven drying sardines for hiking. Not sure how safe, but good for a week or two I should think, if dried enough. Debating whether to pack it in oats or canola oil or by itself. I use convection oven at 170F, but filleting the sardines open helps, and a little pre-broiling might help also. Work in progress.

Edited by JAK (02/18/12 08:29 PM)

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum