This is my very first true backcountry camping trip I have taken as an adult. It is also my first solo backcountry trip ever. I decided on Fall Creek Falls due to the proximity to my residence in Middle TN, and the availability of backcountry camping. I have been amassing some gear over the past couple of years. One is a big seven pound backpack I got off Amazon. I also got a Thermorest Neoair, a Katadyn water filter, MSR Pocket Rocket and a little all in one cookest from REI. I used an old 20 degree Kelty sleeping bag I got in 5th grade back in 1991. My total pack weight was about 25 lbs. I can't wait to upgrade my sleeping bag to a really nice down one, and get a lighter pack.

On this trip, I chose the lower loop portion of the overnight trail.

The whole loop is 12 miles, but I am out of shape and new to this so I chose the first campsite, about three miles down the trail. There is a 2nd campsite about 2.5 miles after that.

I arrived yesterday with enough time to set up camp and gather firewood. I wish I had gathered more, but honestly I was tired after awhile and made do with what I got. It lasted me until bedtime, but I wish I had more for the morning.

I woke up a few times during the night just because I am not used to sleeping outside of a comfy bed. I wouldn't say I slept poorly, but it was adequate. My feet were cold, and next time I am going to bring one of those handwarmers for my feet. Here's a couple more photos:

Please reply with any questions or suggestions.

Edited by nashscan (03/08/14 02:55 PM)