Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171036 - 10/29/12 12:24 AM Has anyone hiked death valley to the singing doons
NightWolf Offline

I am planning to go to death valley and can only find this item on a personal hikers time there.
http://nfl.ca/article-on-hiking-death-valley.html

So I wondered if others had done it to?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#171112 - 10/30/12 01:17 PM Re: Has anyone hiked death valley to the singing doons [Re: NightWolf]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I have not done the exact trip you are contemplating in Death Valley NP. But I have done a couple of backpack trips in that region. Probably the closest was a trip along the spine of the Panamint Range where we dropped down to Eureka Dunes at the end. My partner had found a Paleozoic age shark tooth and after measuring a stratigraphic section, we decided to go back and traverse the spine to check out the rest of the geology. This was in around 1981 to 1983.

Tips? Well,

1). Most dunes will sing, but they have to be dry enough with windy conditions to do so. The windy part is usually not a problem.

2). You will have to stash water, unless you want to carry it all with you. Better to make at least 1 stash...more for sure if you are not use to desert travel. Even in winter you will use up lots of water as it is dry here.

3). Look for sheltered camp sites. It will probably be windy.

4). Be sure you are comfortable with navigating off trail.

Don't expect much more feedback about this trip from this site. It is just not high on the to do list for the people who frequent this site.

Good luck, sK

#171113 - 10/30/12 01:23 PM Re: Has anyone hiked death valley to the singing doons [Re: skcreidc]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
A quick search on backpacking Death Valley led to this;

Death Valley

Hope that helps.

#171120 - 10/30/12 03:51 PM Re: Has anyone hiked death valley to the singing doons [Re: skcreidc]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
We did parts of it many times, when I was in the military. We crossed over into NV to the Nellis AFB Bomb Range. We didn't carry weapons, because it's mostly public land and didn't want to frighten people, just tan BDU bottoms, and white or tan long sleved T-shirts.

There is a large pool of drinkable water in DV, but you have to know where it is, and dig a small but deep hole to get to it, so like previously mentioned, carry water, and stash water ahead at different waypoints in your trips. Plastic jugs of water are cheap, so stash more than you'll need. If nothing else, you can use the leftover to "bathe" with. If you use a GPS, make sure you can use a map and compass, at some places, you can get very confused if your GPS goes blitz on you.

In the summer, we traveled mostly at night and holed up during the day, which BTW we did that a lot during desert training. On a moon lit night, you can see almost as well as you can in the day.

I suggest this, others may differ. Eat little or very lightly during the day, If you eat a big breakfast, or lunch, it will cause your body to use much more water in the digestive process. Eat your big meal an hour or two after sunset or later. If it were my first time I would do it during Winter/Early spring.

Wear proper clothing, a proper hat, and I'm assuming you'll be wearing suitable quality sunglasses. If you take them off as the sun starts setting, put them back on at least 30 -40 minutes before dark. This will allow your eyes to adjust to the dark, and keep you from suffering night blindness. It makes the transition from light to dark better and quicker.

Although some parts are fairly easy, some are really tough, so plan your trip accordingly, as to your physical conditioning, age, etc.

Also, make sure you have a Topo map. Dry creek beds, and other landmarks can change over time due to flash floods.

We had to do it in the summer, sometimes, and if you do, plan for accordingly. It can really take the wind out of your sails.

Although some people don't use them, It's a good idea to get a package or two of the powdered or tablet like electrolytes to add to your water. If you're going to stay on marked roads or trails, it's a little easier, but (especially in the summer) it can be a really hard go. I would suggest, unless you're very well versed in desert backpacking/hiking, that you do as much research as possible. It can be extremely rough at times, and people do die out there.

But with careful planning, it's very dooable, and has multiple types of desert terrain, so depending on your trip, it can be really enjoyable.
Here is a good Link to Hiking Death Valley

J.

Edited by jbylake (10/30/12 05:18 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum