Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144660 - 01/10/11 03:09 PM Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Still learning how to do this. Sorry about the learning curve. I DID figure out I have too many (full size) photos. Here is Part Deux.

Day 6, September 2

Today the goal is to continue off trail up and over Ruskie Pass (el 12,075 ft) and then past Merriam Lake to French Canyon. This time I load up Tica's pack onto mine and leave the leather booties off for better grip. It is not too bad going up. Head straight towards the pyrimid shaped peak until the area to the left opens up to you. Just before the saddle on the west side, there is a great spot to collect more water.

There is a third class section going down the east side to the snow pack. Mike and Tess are intimidated by it at first and want to look for another way down. So we look. There is a loose talus slope on the northerly side of the pass and I take off my pack to have a closer look. Holding onto the rock, I put nearly my full weight on the closest portion of the slope. The whole area, including 2 large boulders, moves slightly under my feet. The other way is a LOT safer. Besides that, I tell them, I brought rope just for this section. Mike, Tess, and TIca get down using the rope. In the photo, I am getting Tica ready to lower down using the backpack and rope in combination to carry her weight and keep her from flipping. She is not happy, but does it with no problem. It is an easy climb down (short layback section). The whole affair takes over an hour.

Collecting water just below the pass on the west side.

Looking east from Ruskie Pass.

Getting ready to lower the dog down

When we hit the snow pack, Tica celebrates like a lunitic. I tell the other two to follow my steps down and I stomp my way down. It takes a long time for Mike and Tess to get down to the flat area. They are very cautious but mentally doing fine, so we just take our time. We have actually worked our way to the northeast during this time and now we need to head south towards Merrium Lake.

That is where we came from.

Heading towards Merrium Lake.

Last step to Merrium Lake.

Merrium Lake

This section is easy and we were making good time now. I have been by Merrium Lake (el 10,932 ft) before and I was hoping to actually fish in Merrium Lake this time. But, we had used up too much time on the pass. It was time to put the booties back on Tica and head on down to French Canyon. We immediately find a nice campsite next to water and set up camp (el 9,900 ft). Sigh...a small herd of mules came in a dusk. They appeared to have liked that spot also.

French Canyon Campsite.

Day 7, September 3

Today is all on trail and we eventually join up with the jmt again. The goal is the Muir Trail Ranch and the hot springs; 11 miles till we get there. Mostly downhill, we head from French Canyon to Piute Canyon and follow Piute Creek to where it joins the south fork of the San Joaquin River. From there we head west towards Florence Lake. Once we get to Muir Trail Ranch, we have completed our loop and only have about 5.5 miles to get to the lake tomorrow.

Heading out along French Canyon.

Day 8, September 4

We fly hiking out in the morning to get to the 9:30 am ferry. Mike is moving the fastest I have seen him. Everybody but me is ready to leave. We are on the road again soon and actually make it back to San Diego before the sun sets. I am not sure if Mike and Tess will go to the Sierra with me again...at least not if it is off trail.

Edited by skcreidc (01/10/11 03:20 PM)

#144667 - 01/10/11 07:58 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Niiiiice... Really reminds me of the Sierras of my childhood summers.. Gotta make it back down there someday.
Browse my pictures

#144673 - 01/10/11 10:46 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
I agree with Phat...very nice!
The pics are spectacular. I look at those rock formations and ponder the amount of force that it took to form them.
Truly awesome.

#144718 - 01/11/11 07:39 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: Tango61]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks for the positive comments. The photos are a combination of Tess's, Mike's, and mine. BTW, they DO want to go an anther trip with me, however it needs to be a shorter and more local trip. I think the 8 days was a bit much for 'em.

The forces that went into creating the mountain range that we see today are truly amazing. Even along the backside of the Sierra's as you drive up the 395 you start seeing terminal moraines somewhere after Bishop. This is in stark contrast to the White Mountains where little glaciation has taken place even though some of the range is over 12,000 ft. The Whites are east of Bishop and in the rain shadow of the Sierra. Apparently, this has been the case for a while.

Just to let the mods know, I learned my lesson on this one. Keep it short and sweet.

sk

Edited by skcreidc (01/11/11 07:40 PM)

#144725 - 01/11/11 08:53 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Lovely country--nice report. Thanks for posting it!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#144726 - 01/11/11 10:20 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Great report, and great pics too!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

"You want to go where?"

#144787 - 01/13/11 07:10 AM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Thoroughly enjoyed the report, well done! Looks like an awsome trip! I've never been in the Sierras. Maybe someday.

MNS

#144806 - 01/13/11 01:28 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: midnightsun03]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I think I went over Ruskie Pass years ago, opposite direction that you did. At the time we were not sure if we were on the right pass or not. Can you give me a coordinate or more extact description of the location? The photos make it look like we did Ruskie, but there was more snow so it is hard to tell. We actually were trying to go over Stough Pass but the guidebook was vague about location.

My memory is of a grassy ramp from the east, past a small tarn, then up some hideous steep gullies and benchs to the top. We then traversed the ridge and came down gradually to the Seven Gable lakes. We went from Royce Lakes to Seven Gables Lakes, carrying heavy packs with climbing gear (did a technical route on Seven Gables)- VERY hard day!

#144810 - 01/13/11 03:38 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Topo from Mt. Hilgard 7.5 min Quad

This was our approximate path up and over the pass. The actual pass is marked by the two arrows and circle. I'd say your memory is pretty darn good as your discription is right on in my mind (if that is the way you went).

In august of 1980 we came in through the east side after being in Royce Lakes area as well. We were on a fishing and peak bagging expedition and did a couple 5.8(?) routes Seven Gables as well as the scramble up the saddle between Seven Gables and the peak to the north. I would have to say my memory was all turned around I guess because this time we went through going in the opposite direction. Also, this time I was more focused on getting my little group up and over the pass as we were running a little behind schedule.

QUESTION: Since I have your attention, have you been on the pass between Merriam and Royce Peaks? I am wondering how that would be to take my dog over next summer.

#144835 - 01/13/11 08:58 PM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: skcreidc]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Yes, I have been over that pass. If you have snow, it is quite easy. In 2008 I looked at the pass from Royce Lakes and the snow was melted - looked ugly at top on the Royce Lake side- steep and cliffy. I remember that we traversed into the pass up quite high (on the NW side) instead of going directly up the gully. Merriam Lake side is very easy.

Yup - we did Ruskie, but descended northwest towards the tiny pond shown on the map before turning southwest to drop down.

#144858 - 01/14/11 09:02 AM Re: Part 2 Report for Ruskie Pass [Re: wandering_daisy]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks for the info on the other pass. I will probably try it out next trip to that area.

sk

Stoked I got the scanner to work! With out that I wasn't sure how I was going to communicate.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum