Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184252 - 04/02/14 01:31 PM Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
First hike of the calendar year and the only "winter" camp of the year. Winter is in quotes, because it wasn't very cold and we are starting to melt. grin

So to start with the trail head was supposed to be at mile 103 of the Elliot Hwy and while I didn't expect exactness, it was actually mile 128... The road from my place to where the Haul road breaks off was in excellent shape, but was 35-40 mph after that. Found the trail head, parking wasn't plowed out yet (I'd passed a plow), however there was a plowed in area very close to the trail head that had a truck with a snowmachine trailer, so I parked there and hoped no one would chain me in. eek

I putzed around and played with my snow shoes... Found me and my backpack were too heavy for the type of snowshoes / type of snow. blush So I packed the snowshoes on the unweighed but heavy backpack. I have done day hikes with emergency gear, but never a full blown winter pack.

Hiked out to the trail and found it well packed. Since the trail is a use trail, not a well marked / maintained trail I had my GPS with some estimate of where the trail was and a definite marker for where the hot springs were located.

The hike was kinda boring. I should have bought a sled and pulled my pack since it was so flat. There was a bunch of burned out area as well. BLAH. I got blisters because I wore my bunny boots - I could have totally done this in my tennis shoes had I known there would be so little overflow and that the whole trail would be packed down - but you don't know ahead of time on this type of trail.

The hot springs were HOT! There was another couple there that was using the area as a base camp for snowmachining - which I think might be the way to go with winter camping (snowmaching all the heavy / warm equimpment in smirk )

I used everything I brought except my snowshoes. I slept really warm and comfortable - did wake up once coldish and ate some cheese and drank more water which warmed me right back up again. I didn't see a lot of wildlife, though I did see a lot of moose sign.

The two best parts of the trip were that the hot springs were HOT and the absolutely gorgeous drive. Not a cloud in the sky, intense blue sky, the snow covered hills, the snow covered mountains - just gorgeous.

Hot Springs are beyond the big green tent (not mine) and to the right.

Trail through burn.

One of three spots of overflow.

Edited by Heather-ak (04/02/14 01:35 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot about the gorgeous drive

#184254 - 04/02/14 01:41 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: Heather-ak]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Heather- does the fact that you are out hiking mean that your house is built? I recall you were big into building.

#184255 - 04/02/14 02:34 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: wandering_daisy]
Heather-ak Offline

No. crazy The shell is done and we are moving in after we get access (read snow melts) and put in the windows and insulation in the roof. I did order a composting toilet today, which is exciting for me (YMMV though.)

Actually, husband was out of state on a trip and I took the opportunity to head out - the weather was just perfect, though a little cold at night (40F during the day and in single digits at night.)

#184257 - 04/02/14 04:50 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: Heather-ak]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Suhweeet!

#184275 - 04/03/14 11:06 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: ETSU Pride]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
nice. that a big burn the trail goes through?
Browse my pictures

#184279 - 04/04/14 12:36 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: phat]
Heather-ak Offline

I'd say half to a bit more than half of the about 8 mile trail goes through burn frown

#184284 - 04/04/14 06:58 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: Heather-ak]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Nice trip report Heather. Glad to hear you're getting out, and that the house is coming along.

Love the photos too. Thanks for sharing!!

"You want to go where?"

#184376 - 04/09/14 10:32 AM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

Thanks for that report, though I'm glad to see winter opportunities dwindling fast for us in the NE. The first winter of sled trips for us, on flattish ground it was the bomb. I'm a builder that works all winter. so I can sort of empathize with your house construction. Glad you got out and shared this.

#184378 - 04/09/14 12:17 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: Heather-ak]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Nice, Heather. So, how are these hot springs? DId you test them out?

Glad to hear the house is coming along too. THe composting toilet sounds pretty cool to me. You'll have to let us know how it works out.

Chris

#184387 - 04/09/14 06:25 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: skcreidc]
Heather-ak Offline

The hot springs were VERY hot - I couldn't stay in very long. Bad thing is the weight of the swimwear that froze afterwards! (Yeah I'm a prude! blush)

I'm really excited about the toilet (way more than I should be) - it separates liquids from solids, has a heater (to help compost the solids) and a fan if you need them. Looks easy to clean too. I'll post photos when we get it installed in the house crazy

#184415 - 04/11/14 12:43 AM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: Heather-ak]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Heather-ak
The hot springs were VERY hot - I couldn't stay in very long. Bad thing is the weight of the swimwear that froze afterwards! (Yeah I'm a prude! blush)

See, this is why I hike with guys - I can keep the weight down wink

However, the problem I seem to have is that I can be in the middle of nowhere, I can have seen nobody else for *DAYS* and as soon as I just strip everything off an jump in the water women show up.. it's almost uncanny. Last year It happened
here:

That's height of the rockies in B.C. It's routefinding to get to that lake, no trail. I've been there for two days, and we've seen nobody. I strip naked and get in the lake, and two young women and a guy show up..

Now, see this one

That's right below Cataract Pass, (which is the saddle on the left of the photo). no official trail at all.. routefinding...

I get naked and am pouring water with my pot over myself from that (which is coming straigh off the glacier) along with three other companions, and not a word of a lie, something like seven women come over the pass - on a group hike.. and are confronted by four naked old(er) men in the middle of nowhere....

Why is this? I think as an ugly fat computer guy I could just ditch my PLB entirely, carry a 24 strand piece of direct buriable fibre optics in my pack. If I'm in trouble bury the fibre and take of my clothing and I'm certain dozens of women would show up driving a backhoe to dig up the fibre optics and embarass me..
Browse my pictures

#184480 - 04/13/14 11:02 PM Re: Hutlinana Hot Springs, Alaska [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That's just hilarious phat!

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum