Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181101 - 12/03/13 01:39 PM Northern California winter backpacking
turtlehead Offline

Looking for some trip ideas for this winter... I live in Sacramento and looking for trips within a 1 to 5 hour drive of home.

The Lost Coast is for sure on the list, but would like to find some other options, maybe even in the Sierra foothills.

Unfortunately, right now I've got down to a 20 degree bag. Not looking to do any snow camping.

Any suggestions are appreciated no matter how long, short, or epic. Cross country routes would be fun too, but realizing it's winter and that limits a lot of things.

#181106 - 12/03/13 03:02 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Point Reyes National Seashore - very civilized but beautiful. There are enough trails to do a substantial 3-4 day trip although it would involve lots of looping around.

Henry Coe State Park - once the rains start - water is a problem in early winter before rains. This state park always amazes me. It has some serious backpacking and is huge. I have done 5 day trips of more than 60 miles. You need to get a map put out by the park- USGS topos are useless there. You can find a lot of maps on the internet.

Feather Falls - overnight backpack staying above the falls.

Yosemite- lower elevation trails from the Valley if you are willing to do a bit of snowshoeing.

There are year-round trails in Trinity Alps (western section of the wilderness area) as well as Marble Mountains.

And there is an unofficial "coastal trail" - google "coast walk" and there is information. There are also two guidebooks-one covers Oregon border to Monterey, the other Monterey south. There are a lot of mostly trail sections, with a little bit of road walking.

I have also done a 2 day backpack in Marin Headlands- Mt Tamapias.

I have not done it- but what about Lasson Park? You would have to have snowshoes, but there are plenty of time periods where it does not get below 20 degrees.

There is stuff down by Big Sur - but others would have to chime in on these. I know little about this area.

#181108 - 12/03/13 03:11 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Forgot to add - the river canyons. Trails up the Yuba. I used to do 2-3 day trips dropping down to the NF American River from Foresthill Divide - but a fire burned some of the trails and it can get very challenging. The horse riders used to keep the trail clear, but now with all the deadfall, no horses, no trail maintained. Pretty gnarly down there right now. You can still go down to Mumford Bar, or Italian Bar. You have to ski or snowshoe the road from the winter parking area (snowmobiles so a bit annoying until you drop down). I have stashed snowshoes once out of the snow. Also - what about the lower end of the Western States Trail? I believe that some of the Western States trial may have been affected by fire this summer. Another possibility- snowshoe down the road (off Hwy 88)to Salt Springs Reservoir. There is a year-round road (very muddy 4wd) that you could also take. You would have to call Forest Service about that road. I believe it is a 10-mile round trip backpack from the dam to the upper end of the Reservoir.

#181117 - 12/03/13 09:41 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Keep watching the weather. It might be you'll be able to hike anywhere all winter, given we're in a drought. (Two years ago Tioga Pass opened in midwinter and folks ice-skated up there.)

Cheers,

#181120 - 12/03/13 10:43 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
lori Offline

The thing is, you don't need a lot of snow to get it below 20F. Right now there is 10 - 18F in the forecast as low as Yosemite valley - it's forecasted to be 32F right here at 500 feet elevation, in the Central Valley in town. Having a good base layer, a couple mid layers and a jacket plus a good warm balaclava and good eating/hydration habits will go a long way to getting you warm and safe at those temps....

You are going to be limited to the coastal areas if you don't want snow - and even then you can expect a few inches. One spring I was caught in a white out at 3,000 feet on a ridge just a few miles from the ocean. Not entirely unworkable, but it led to using my umbrella (brought for sun) as a way of keeping snow off my cheeks. It was blowing sideways.

In the Big Sur, the singular resource for backpackers is ventanawild.org - that area has trails that disappear in a single storm. Right now there is a comprehensive fire ban in place - no smoking, no stoves, no fires, not a single spark allowed in the wilderness anywhere in the Los Padres NF. On the up side, no bear cans needed, and no permits for backpacking - avoid Sykes Hot Springs and you might just not see a soul (I saw two hunters last weekend when out there). Have good navigation skills and read up on the trip reports on the aforementioned website, and from that site, visit Jack Glendening's trail map, which is a much more accurate map than any published ones - Jack is on the trail crew and pretty much lives out there. His GPS tracks are accurate and can save your bacon if you are wandering and the trail turns into a multitude of game trails and use trails. The signs are mostly gone out there. I uploaded the map to my GPS and didn't bring a paper map - which runs counter to my usual habit, I'll tell you, but the paper maps, particularly the Wilderness Press version, are often completely wrong and show trails that no longer exist due to the fire that burnt up 75% of the wilderness.

Point Reyes is an awesome and much tamer experience. Henry Coe is some wild stuff - check with the park about water before you go. We were out there when the national parks shut down - the main creek was dry, and we cowboy camped in the stream bed. Water can be a challenge if it hasn't rained enough. A few of the springs are reliable, but the list on the website is old - ask the rangers.

The Lost Coast will require you to have a bear canister. Point Reyes has raccoon boxes. Coe we usually hang food to keep rodents out.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#181129 - 12/04/13 02:31 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
haikublue Offline

Loc: Berkeley, California
I second or third Henry Coe. I call it my spring home ( as summer is too hot and dry during drought years). Even in Winter you need to check water source conditions. Their website has a page on that. Close to headquarters there ate cushy backpacking campsites, including nice portalets. Further there are wilderness acres upon acres and two other entrances with wilderness. I don't fish but i understand the fishing there is really good.

#181131 - 12/04/13 03:45 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: haikublue]
Rick_D Offline

Have gone past Henry Coe but never hiked it. How are the ticks? (Seems like prime country for the li'l suckers.)

Cheers,

#181137 - 12/04/13 11:46 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: turtlehead]
bobito9 Offline

Without really adding anything very new to the subject, I am partial to the Ventana/Big Sur area (and the Silver Peak Wilderness just to the south). I would recommend doing the high open ridge hikes over the deep shaded canyons though: man alive is it cold, damp, and dark down in the bottom of a redwood canyon in winter, IMHO. My favorite trail for winter there is out of Bottcher's Gap back to Pat Springs. I have a wonderful memory of a warm trip there under a full moon in a drought year in February on that trail...Of course I recall Lori writing here of a trip she did there that involved a whiteout! NOAA is definitely one of my favorite resources in winter!
Henry Coe IS very nice, I love it, but my one complaint is that they don't allow fires in the backcountry (it's a CA state park), which is fine in spring, but in winter I really prefer a fire. By the way,some of the CA state park backpacking trails in the Bay Area are closed down in the off season. For sure, Big Basin, Portola, and Butano are closed Nov 1 until Apr 30, which is really really lame: April is the best time to be there (grumble, grumble) I don't know about State Parks elsewhere. Coe is open, so is Castle Rock, and I think Austin Creek is. Pescadero Creek is a San Mateo County park with backpacking and it's open year round. I love that place, but it is very shady.
Another trip, which I've never done but want to some day, is the Ohlone Trail from Del Valle to Sunol, right in the Bay Area. It has a big waterfall which really only flows in the rainy season. I believe it's a 31 mile thru-hike, with a big elevation gain.

#181139 - 12/05/13 12:30 AM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: bobito9]
lori Offline

There is a slight chance of snow in Gorda today.

GORDA. Sea level.

Just wow.

#181140 - 12/05/13 12:34 AM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: bobito9]
lori Offline

Oh, and the Ohlone trail grades will give Coe a run for its money - the Big Burn is pretty #$^@~ steep, and when it's muddy, you are lucky if you don't glissade down it!

You need trail camp reservations in advance, and you need an Ohlone permit - two bucks, good for a year - and you need to figure out how to get campsites that let you do the daily miles you want to do. Parking on the Mission Peak end of the trail is dicey; cars get broken into, and there's no shuttle to either end to the other, so knowing someone who can pick you up at Del Valle (safer parking there) and drop you at the Fremont end is helpful.

Ohlone is prettiest in spring, when it's green. Saw a golden eagle in Sunol! Look out for cows and don't forget the water filter.

#181141 - 12/05/13 12:36 AM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: Rick_D]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Have gone past Henry Coe but never hiked it. How are the ticks? (Seems like prime country for the li'l suckers.)

Ticks do very well there - permethrin and gaiters if you are going to get to the more remote trails where the grass encroaches...

Poison oak also does very well there. The only time I've ever had a rash was after brushing the vine-style stuff while hanging my hammock in Coe.

#181156 - 12/05/13 01:30 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: lori]
Rick_D Offline

Great input--thanks for the response!

Am slowly acquiring a set of permethryn-treated gear, which has really reduced my reliance on bug repellant.

Cheers,

#181161 - 12/05/13 04:44 PM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: Rick_D]
footmobile Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D

Cheers,

Ticks are really bad in the spring, they are just bad the rest of the time.

Edited by footmobile (12/05/13 04:45 PM)

#181889 - 01/14/14 12:06 AM Re: Northern California winter backpacking [Re: footmobile]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I second the Ventana....:)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum