Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164935 - 04/12/12 11:18 PM NoBo from Partnership Shelter to Pearisburg, VA
John Donewar Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Can anyone on this forum tell me what are the "high points" or the most interesting parts of this section of the AT?

My hiking partner will be doing the whole section but I can only join him for a portion of it this year.

Thanks in advance,

Newton cool

#164979 - 04/14/12 09:43 PM Re: NoBo from Partnership Shelter to Pearisburg, VA [Re: John Donewar]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Using my 2009 guide data, the Partnership Shelter is at mile 526.7 (from Springer), and Pearisburg is at mile 625.9, so you're talking about a hundred miles or so of trail.
Partnership Shelter is one that most thru-hikers remember, because if possible everyone arranges to call for a pizza to be delivered there --- my hiking partner and I did about a 25-mile day to get there to do exactly that.

In terms of most interesting parts, I recall a little ridgewalking (I recall it because there was a thunderstorm at the time) somewhere north of Walker Gap and before Jenkins shelter. I know there is a "bald" or two (or more) in that general area too, so better than average chance for views in there.

Angels Rest just before dropping down to Pearisburg is worth stopping at to take photos and look down from for a while.

Really, I don't recall much in particular in that area, but do have overall happy memories of walking through it. Given your situation, I would suggest just meeting whereever schedule or trail access or other logistics works out best for you rather than trying to pick a particular "best" part in there.

Note also that I've only been through there once, and there might well be great things that I missed or have forgotten, so I defer in advance to anyone local or otherwise with more intimate knowledge than I (!).

#164994 - 04/15/12 10:13 PM Re: NoBo from Partnership Shelter to Pearisburg, VA [Re: John Donewar]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Was just there s couple of weeks ago. The angels rest is as beautiful as ever, though I was there too early for the flowers. The trail down has been improved a great deal since I thru-hiked six years ago. It now has switchbacks and a really good treadway (Konorock maybe?). Incidentally, you don't have to order pizza at Partnership, the joint is in walking distance and you can resupply while you're down the hill. And the hot shower is to die for. best, jcp

#164995 - 04/16/12 06:29 AM Re: NoBo from Partnership Shelter to Pearisburg, VA [Re: JPete]
John Donewar Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Well OK, out of two replies, Angel's Rest has a 100% representation. This works out pretty well "logistically" also as it seems that I'll be meeting up with "Lazarus" on the trail around Bland, VA. I'll save the pizza for after getting off the trail.

I'm sure that the name doesn't do the town justice. grin

I did check out my trail guide book for this area and it seems like water will not be an issue. This should allow me to carry less water and keep my total pack weight low. Is this a good assumption or is the trail guide book that I have giving me a false indication of reality?

Newton cool

Edited by John Donewar (04/16/12 06:31 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum