Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160392 - 01/14/12 10:22 PM Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

So, this doesn't really count as a backcountry trip - however we did this more "hut to hut" style - 11 days of hiking, 200 kilometers, from bed and breakfast to bed and breakfast, myself, my wife, and my often hiking partner and his wife. We didn't use luggage tranfers but just lightweighted it with the same sort of gear I take backpacking. As it didn't involve camping outside, the better half walked it with me (well most of it, she skipped a couple of tough sections and took a taxi smile

While there were some challenging days, and occasional frustrations, all in all a great trip, and showing TR's now
makes it seem soo green...

full set of pics at http://pics.obtuse.com/kerryway2011, I'll
only reproduce a few of them here for you. if you're intersted, go check out the above link

[img]http://pics.obtuse.com/kerryway2011/m-20110722-133059-bob.jpg
[img]http://pics.obtuse.com/kerryway2011/m-20110723-155524-howie.jpg

Browse my pictures

#160409 - 01/15/12 02:30 AM Re: Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011 [Re: phat]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Bob: I think that does count as a backcountry trip. There was less civilization seen in some of those shots than off in the distance in some of the designated Wilderness areas I've been to in Colorado. There are some really great pix on your link. Lots of them are SO green. Several would be beautiful big and framed.

Were the monoliths ancient, or put in as part of the Kerry Way? Did you have everything you brought over in those packs, or were you able to leave some "stuff" at the start and pick it up at the end? If you didn't use luggage transfers, then it really helped to be UL-oriented. What a great hike and trip!

Were McGillycuddy's Reeks in any of those shots (my favorite Irish name.) How long were you there in total? Did you or your wife have family to visit? Thanks for sharing the pix.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#160412 - 01/15/12 09:04 AM Re: Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011 [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
phat, we've covered some of the same ground and that definately counts as a backpacking trip. We did part of the Dingle Way too.
The thing that was odd about that place is how muddy and wet the ground can be hiking up over the passes where it should be dry. You could even hear water running underfoot as the trail winds through the heather mounds.
Interesting....none of your sheep were painted. We had a heck of a time taking sheep shots because of blue/green/red paint blobs on their butts. Nice pics! I plan to go back possibly this year.

#160420 - 01/15/12 11:31 AM Re: Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011 [Re: kevonionia]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia

Were the monoliths ancient, or put in as part of the Kerry Way? Did you have everything you brought over in those packs, or were you able to leave some "stuff" at the start and pick it up at the end? If you didn't use luggage transfers, then it really helped to be UL-oriented. What a great hike and trip!

The monoliths were ancient - a number of places there were standing stones. with runes on them. (well, you couldn't often see runes they're so old)

Yes, I took a duffel with my backpack in it, and we Dropped
all our extra stuff into the duffel and left it at Carriglea house B&B where we started and finished. but this was pretty
small, a nice shirt, and a few souveniers we bought the first day that we weren't going to carry. for the most part it was in the pack, and certainly was for the days we were on the trail. I more or less wore boots and gaiters, my schoeller hiking pants, poly undies, and a nylon MEC shirt - I had a fleece, a set of merino long johns, a merino shirt, and a pair of "town pants" and a change of socks and undies in my pack. We would wash socks and underwear in the sink at the B&B, (except for one B&B we did real laundry at)

Howie and I also carried our snow peak stoves and a small pot each. We picked up a canister in Killarney before we started and then we did trail lunches most of the time - buying soup, bread, cheese, whatever at little shops in town for the next day. Some areas we had the B&B pack a lunch for us because there wasn't anything to get such supplies at.

Quote:

Were McGillycuddy's Reeks in any of those shots (my favorite Irish name.) How long were you there in total? Did you or your wife have family to visit? Thanks for sharing the pix.

Yes - McGillycudy's Reeks are the best part of the trip smile the mountain shots you see are often them. The picture of me above looking over a valley I'm standing on the spine of them, on the shoulder of Carrauntohil (tallest mountain in ireland) - which Howie and I wanted to go up if we had a chance, but the weather wasn't good for it (low cloud the day we were there). We were on the trail for 11 days.
Browse my pictures

#160421 - 01/15/12 11:39 AM Re: Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011 [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
phat, we've covered some of the same ground and that definately counts as a backpacking trip. We did part of the Dingle Way too.
The thing that was odd about that place is how muddy and wet the ground can be hiking up over the passes where it should be dry. You could even hear water running underfoot as the trail winds through the heather mounds.

Yeah, the neat part as well was how much that changed after a spell of dry weather.. the little trickles would just stop, yet the ground would still be moist and hold the water.

Quote:

Interesting....none of your sheep were painted. We had a heck of a time taking sheep shots because of blue/green/red paint blobs on their butts. Nice pics! I plan to go back possibly this year.

We had lots of painted sheep too - look at the full picture set - I just didn't happen to get them in any of the ones above.
Browse my pictures

#160422 - 01/15/12 11:43 AM Re: Kerry Way, Ireland, July 2011 [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Aww man, I forgot to link one of my favorites - walking on this
old road made me feel all Hobbity... smile

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum