Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159690 - 01/05/12 04:27 PM West Coast Trail
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Better to hike from North to South or South to North and why?? Thanks OldScout

#159774 - 01/06/12 06:05 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: OldScout]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Phat's a great person to ask. He's done that trail several times.

BF cool

#159776 - 01/06/12 06:21 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: bigfoot2]
OldScout Offline

Yeah, I know and I have a personal message to him but haven't heard back so I decided to post in this forum also. OldScout

#159931 - 01/08/12 09:33 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: OldScout]
Chuk Offline

Loc: Penticton, B.C.
Originally Posted By OldScout
Better to hike from North to South or South to North and why?? Thanks OldScout

OldScout,
My 17yr boy and I did the trip Aug 23rd 2011 and we decided to do the hardest sections first and started out South to North.
Those first 3 days were tough and could not imagine doing that as the last three days of our 7 day journey. Even though you have full packs at the start you are also the steadiest and at your strongest.The last couple days of our trip I was dragging my butt (I'm 56) and very glad the last few days were the easiest....

Edited by Chuk (01/08/12 10:54 PM)

#159936 - 01/08/12 11:07 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: Chuk]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Glad to see you had fun with it Chuk..

I was away a bunch after my WCT trip last year and never got a chance to ask you how it went.

Oldscout, check your PM's I sent you some stuff.

I've done this trail 5 times - three one ways and once as a yo-yo smile

The harder part is the south, it's more rugged, more mud, more ladders. the northernmost 20 km or so is much easier. if you time your tides so you're walking on the good shelf sections lots of the rest is really nice too..

I sent Oldscout and itenerary, I'll repost here the suggestion I gave Chuk last year:

Quote:
Here's my suggestion for an itenerary for you, from the south. Taking it easy.

Day 1: Oritentation - hike to thrasher, camp at thrasher it's only 6 km. and it will take you 3-4 hours (it does take me 3). it's a very rough part of the trail - and beautiful. go slow, take breaks, admire the trees and donkey engine.

Day 2: get up early and CHECK YOUR TIDE TABLE so you have very low tides, hike slowly through the rocks and boulders down the beach from thrasher to get to owen point - you want a really low tide at owen point. it's worth getting up super early for this (I will be doing this on the 11th - getting up and walking at 4:30 AM, then proabably having breakfast at owen point!) but check your tide tables. then walk on the shelf to beach access (you'll see some water coming down some round brown sandstone you hike up to the floats that mark the beach access) and through the trail to camper. camp at camper -

Day 3 Camper to walbran - ladders, mud, and cable cars. it's awsome and tiring celebrate at walbran - it's nice, big gravel beach, and there's often whales. you're done the hard stuff.

Day 4 Walbran to cribs - walk as far out on the shelf as you can, it's awesome. beach walk around carmannah cove - lunch of a burger and cokes at moniques. if you drink throw a beer in your backpack for the evening. (you'll have to pack the empty away, but you can leave it at nitnat narrows the next day) Then up, and over the point, visit the carmannah lighthouse, and down the shelf to cribs - cribs is only about 1.5 km from chez moniques (which is about 1 km on the beach past the carmannah campsite.

Day 5 - cribs to tsusiat - longer day, but nice. take a reasonable bit of water from cribs, as there is no water until past the cheewat river where you cross on a white bridge. Just after this bridge, there is a small spring/creek that has water in it (the river is not drinkable) ask at orientation if there is water in this and plan accordingly. If you start early, you'll arrive at nitnat narrows at lunchish time - have a crab they are awesome. grab a coke and snacks, get ferried across.
I love the next section, great views. camp at tsusiat falls, shower in the falls, sleep on the beach, watch out for the mice and crows - don't leave any food unattended or in your tent

Day 6 - Tusisat to michigan or tsowais - easy day. easy walking now, camp at michigan and enjoy your last night. if you don't mind a slightly longer (by an hour and a half to 2 hours) walk out to the trailhead in the morning, stay at tscowais instead of michigan. tscowais is 16 km from the trailhead and pretty with a waterfall. michigan is nice, but often busy.

Day 7 get up early, 12 km (or 16 km) to the trailhead and get trail bus back to victoria. a hint at the end - if you get to where you can *see* pachena bay (a big wide sandy bay) on your left just after crossing a bridge - leave the trail and walk through a few rocks and across the beach - approximately in the middle is trail straight through past some old outhouses to the trailhead. if you stay on the trail you'll also get there but there are some silly ladders and it's not as nice smile

You want to plan your trip looking at the tide tables so you have a good day 2 to take about 2-3 hours to pick your way to owen point and have a good low tide at the sea caves there - so it is important to look at the tide predictions for bamfield or port renfrew and decide when to go based upon that. Ideally you also want extreme tides - i.e. big highs and big lows - so you get to see lots of neat stuff at low tides.

Browse my pictures

#159937 - 01/08/12 11:26 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: phat]
Chuk Offline

Loc: Penticton, B.C.
Originally Posted By phat

Glad to see you had fun with it Chuk..

I was away a bunch after my WCT trip last year and never got a chance to ask you how it went.

Oldscout, check your PM's I sent you some stuff.

I've done this trail 5 times - three one ways and once as a yo-yo smile

The harder part is the south, it's more rugged, more mud, more ladders. the northernmost 20 km or so is much easier. if you time your tides so you're walking on the good shelf sections lots of the rest is really nice too..

I sent Oldscout and itenerary, I'll repost here the suggestion I gave Chuk last year:

phat,
I was well prepared and could not have achieved a hike of this magnitude without all your expert help and suggestions!
Oldscout,phat is a invaluable source of information when it comes to hiking the WCT!

Edited by Chuk (01/08/12 11:29 PM)

#159939 - 01/09/12 12:33 AM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: Chuk]
phat Offline

How'd your boy do... Where'd ya stay?

oh wait.. nevermind - found your trip report smile

Edited by phat (01/09/12 01:00 AM)
Browse my pictures

#160109 - 01/11/12 01:36 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: phat]
OldScout Offline

Phat, in case I end up hiking North to South, do you have the same hiking and camping suggestions only in reverse order? OldScout

#160171 - 01/11/12 09:40 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: OldScout]
phat Offline

Mostly yes, Going from north to south, you will be with the herd starting at the Pachena Bay trailhead. this means you end up doing a rush the gate start because everyone leaves the orientation at about the same time. Everyone will be overloaded with crap, and will walk the 12 km to Michigan and plop down there, with the earlier from the south arrivals already haven taken the best spots. DO NOT CAMP AT MICHIGAN if you are coming from the north, you'll get a crappy site, and it'll be full of people. hike down the beach for another hour and a half on the shelf, and you will arrive at Tscowais which is small but lovely with a waterfall.

the next day is a real choice, depending on how you feel.

From Tscowais you then have a short and easy next day to Tsuisat falls. Everyone stops at Tsusait falls. it's big and gorgeous. It's nicer coming from the south because it's later in the trip and you're smellier (and of course you bathe in it). You'll get there early which means you'll get a good spot. the river changes at Tsusiat every year, (it may go to the right or left of the falls) the bear box an toilet are on the left of the falls, in the trees, if you are facing the falls. Don't be silly and camp on the wrong side of the river river from the bear box and toilets smile

From there your best next camping site is probably Cribs. 17 km from Tsusiat. However your choice is you could skip camping at tsusiat falls and instead do about 25 km from Tscowais to Cribs. My reccomendation is on your first time, take the short day. The nitnat narrows ferry only runs 10 to 4, and you need to cross that (and eat a crab there, they are amazing)

From there it's the same, cribs, then walbran, then camper, then thrasher, and then out

you can do it faster, I have, you shouldn't your first time, you'll miss cool stuff and cools sites. When I returned north to south with newbies two times ago, this is exactly the itenerary I took them on... ( A party of 15, with a wedding at cribs http://pics.obtuse.com/wct2010 )

Browse my pictures

#160174 - 01/11/12 09:48 PM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: phat]
phat Offline

BTW, you might also want to know what I take:

http://pics.obtuse.com/wctgear.txt

That's last year's list, with post-mortem smile
Browse my pictures

#160196 - 01/12/12 11:25 AM Re: West Coast Trail [Re: phat]
OldScout Offline

Got it. Thanks for all the info. OldScout

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum