Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144624 - 01/09/11 06:37 PM Old trip reports
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Wasn't sure where to post this so I guess it goes here. I was going through some old files on my pc and came upon this six old trip report that happened 20 years back..

There is a place that is for the most part, is unspoiled by mankind, yet not so easy to reach. Maybe it’s because it was my first backpacking trip, but I will always view it as my favorite place on this planet. Since that first trip, I have had countless trips in the High Sierra’s, some good, and some not so good. The company one keeps can make or break a trip, and the weather can also play a role. But even the bad experiences can be good in the long run.
My first time to this place was at the age of 16 with my older brother and a few of his friends. At 16, I hadn’t been exposed to anything like it before; I haven’t even been on a camping trip. But to carry everything on your back for a whole week was totally cool with me. I remember drinking straight out of the lakes and streams, though this was about 25 years ago and having known what I do now, I wouldn’t have done it. But with all that said, this trip put an ever lasting desire in me to get back as often as I could.
My second attempt to this place was at the age of 20 with a few old friends from High school. We probably did the worse thing a person could do as far as backpacking in the high altitude goes. We each filled up our plastic lined bota bags with 151 Bacardi and headed for the hills with our heavy packs. We spent the next couple of days arguing over just about everything and giving on the whole trip. We didn’t even make it five miles, but we did make use of the 151 lighter fluid.
My third attempt was with a friend from the second trip. I don’t remember if it was any better then the last, but it sure didn’t last as long. Our first night in we got drunk, had about 2 inches of hail, and woke up with hang overs. We ended up packing out that day, and I probably spent the next 5-7 years trying to grow up.
By the forth attempt, I was pretty well partied out and dating a women who is now my wife. We had planned this trip very carefully, and even found a different route to take, that turned out to be easier then the original one. Everything was going well and to schedule, but it was a little early in the season and it started raining. Our little pup tent didn’t hold up to well that night and when I looked out in the mourning, it was a winter wonderland. I had covered a little wood the night b4 but it wasn’t much to get the shivering lady out of the tent to get dry. We did however, finally manage to get back on the trail at about 10 in the mourning and headed to our next camp site. The snow slowly melted away in the june sun and in mid afternoon, we made it to the first lake on the trip about 9 miles in. There was a little snow but we did manage to have fish for dinner and a warm camp fire to dry out. The next mourning, we decided to hike up a mile to the next lake to see if it was passable, but it turned out it was still iced over and we weren’t really prepared for it. So we ended up just taking in the scenery for the rest of the day and spending our last night at the lake below. Though we didn’t reach our goal, we did have a good trip with plenty of memories to tell our kids.

#144643 - 01/10/11 01:04 AM Re: Old trip reports [Re: intrek38]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Just a suggestion: since the trip report section is intended to help other people who are headed in the same direction or interested in the same trip...it might help to specify at least the trailhead.

Otherwise, your post might be better in another section...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum