Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135149 - 06/14/10 07:45 PM trail conditions next week in Kings Canyon
bobito9 Offline

howdy,
I'm planning a trip (solo) to the west side of the Sierra next week, most likely in Kings Canyon or Sequoia. Anyone know how the snow and stream crossings are looking this year? I'm considering Tehipite Valley, which I've done before, or maybe Bubb's Crk or Paradise, which I haven't. I'd really like to do Rae Lakes, but I guess that won't be accessible. Any input and suggestions? thanks!

#135166 - 06/15/10 12:43 AM Re: trail conditions next week in Kings Canyon [Re: bobito9]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Last I saw, which was last week, snow level was around 7,000-7500 feet and the snow was melting at about six inches per day in the heat. The means the streams and rivers are really roaring. WE're heading up in early July, and hoping that we won't have too much snow at 8500 feet...

As I remember Paradise Valley, there are no major streams to cross getting there...and depending on where you are going, the same is true of Bubbs Creek--unless you head up to Avalanche Pass.

Don't know about the rest...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#135234 - 06/16/10 11:54 PM Re: trail conditions next week in Kings Canyon [Re: bobito9]
lori Offline

Paradise was gorgeous today - the river is absolutely mad with white water below, and beautiful and green in the valley. There were backpackers reporting that at the junction with the JMT they were turned back by five feet of snow - some people were wading through all the snow trying to go on through the loop, but that doesn't sound like fun to me.... Bubb's Creek ends at Junction Meadow where the snow covers the trail.

Rainbows were floating about in the eddy pools along the river - we saw them everywhere we looked. Also a lot of snakes, mostly rattlers. Saw a bear crossing the road.

Sequoia is still mostly under snow. Pear and other lakes in ice. I got to Redwood Canyon last week after they finally opened the road - the middle trail is clear and patches of snow around in the shade, both loops likely have snow on the ridges.

The road to Wishon is open - not certain about trails into Crown Valley, tho the snow is melting fast, and seems patchy 6500-7000, more coverage higher, depending on exposure.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#135250 - 06/17/10 06:56 PM Re: trail conditions next week in Kings Canyon [Re: bobito9]
bobito9 Offline

maybe it'll be down to only 4 feet of snow at the junction by the time I get there smile
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just going to go and enjoy it for whatever it is. Life is always good spent outdoors in a beautiful place. It sounds like it'll be passable for at least the first 12 miles, anyway, and hopefully I can find some nice dayhike sidetrips. Maybe up the Muro Blanco (love that name!)
I'd be tempted by the upper Merced drainage, like Daisy reported on, but I've been there a lot and want something new. Still, for anyone else considering a trip this week, I bet the Bunnell Cascade on the Merced is looking glorious right now!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum