Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91910 - 03/04/08 06:44 AM White water rafting and the AT.
12StepsToFreedom Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hello all,

I am obviously new to the site and have recently started backpacking and hiking again after many years being "off the trail". I was inquiring if any of know of any good areas near the AT where we could have a good 3 to 4 day hike ending the trip on the 5th day of some white water rafting. Any suggestions?

Tom

#91911 - 03/04/08 05:13 PM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: 12StepsToFreedom]
12Step Offline

I changed my screen name but am still inquiring. I've done a little research and it seems like Harpers Ferry is one option.

Tom

#91912 - 03/04/08 05:42 PM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: 12StepsToFreedom]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Franklin, NC to Nantahala Outdoor Center (near Wesser, NC) is 27 miles with some decent climbs and great views from Siler Bald and Wayah Bald. The trip ends right at the original NOC with plenty of rafting opportunities.

Ron Haven, owner of Franklin's Budget Inn, offers a hiker rate for rooms and will shuttle your vehicle up to NOC and you back to the AT trailhead near Franklin for ~$50-60. It would be a scenic trip with a classic float at the end.

Or you could hike from Fontana Dam (south edge of the Smokies) south to NOC. Again 27 miles, though the climbs are steeper with less views. The Hike Inn would be available for shuttles.

Another decent option would be Davenport Gap (north edge of the Smokies) north to Hot Springs, NC, about 36 miles. There are a number of outfitters in town and just outside of town running raft trips on the French Broad River. Plus, you get the experience of finishing with a classic trail town. Curtis Owen of Standing Bear Farm and Hostel again will provide lodging and shuttle services. He tends to charge less than others on the trail corridor. The e-mail listed is no good, but you can reach him by calling the phone number on the webpage in the evenings. Standing bear is located about two miles from Davenport Gap.

These are the areas I know well regionally (and I have rafted with NOC on both the Nantahala and French Broad), and businesses I have had good experiences with. If you have any other questions, let me know.

#91913 - 03/04/08 09:41 PM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: Bearpaw]
12Step Offline

Thank you bearpaw! I'll look into the info you gave me and will let you know of any other questions.

Tom

#91914 - 03/05/08 04:39 AM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: 12StepsToFreedom]
PaulTheSlow Offline

Tom:

The best option for you will depend on how far you're willing to travel and what time of year. Options in New England are, in my subjective descending order by desirability:

West Branch of the Penobscot, Maine: Class 4-5, beautiful, but somewhat demanding, with Katahdin occasionally in the background. Should be running (off dam releases) all Summer.

Kennebec Gorge, Maine: Class 4, and good clean fun. Also nice scenery and finishes at route 201 maybe ten miles North of the AT crossing. Will also be running reliably all Summer.

Deerfield, Mass.: Class 3-4, relatively easy. Somewhat short at maybe 5 miles, and I'm not certain of the distance from the AT. Runs most, but not all weekends in the Summer.

Housatonic, CT: Bull's Bridge is Class 4, and has a short season in the Spring. The main reason I bring it up (it's about a 3 miles run), is that the AT crosses it at the put-in. The scenery here isn't as dramatic as up in NH or ME, but it's at least very pleasant, and surprisingly semi-wilderness given the proximity to NYC.

All of the above have commercial raft tripper service.

Hope this helps.

Paul

#91915 - 03/05/08 06:01 AM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: PaulTheSlow]
12Step Offline

Paul,

I would LOVE to go north especially Maine to do this AT/river rafting trip. But since I live in the Cincinnati Ohio it would be cheaper in gas, and quicker to get there in most southern locations on the AT. Plus June or July is really the only two months this summer I'm going to be able to do it because I'm getting married and my sister is having her first child all in Auguest.

On a side note and unrelated we are trying to see if we can honeymoon in Maine on the coast. However, I am marrying a woman who not real "outdoorsy" and she's not the hiking and backpacking type, (She has other great qualities that makes her a keeper...lol). Cottage and hotel prices are outrageous in Maine, and even if we spent the money to get one we wouldn't have much left to do anything else. We are also considering New England, Rhode Island, and Vermont, but all those honeymoon spots are pricey also.

South might be the best bet. I am planning a AT trip in Maine in the summer of 09 so I may be hitting you up for info.

Tom

#91916 - 03/06/08 01:19 PM Re: White water rafting and the AT. [Re: 12Step]
PaulTheSlow Offline

Tom,

I haven't paddled (I'm a kayaker) much south of West Virginia, so if you're thinking of heading further south, I can't add much. I know this doesn't necessarily fit into your plan of rafting near the AT, but you're relatively close to the Gauley River and the New River Gorge in West Virginia, and they're 2 of my favorites.

Regarding the Maine coast, I've done fairly well renting off-season (September/October) on the Eastern shore ("Down East"). It gets a lot quieter, with fewer tourists, when you get east of Acadia.

Good luck with your planning.

Regards,

Paul

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum