Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186262 - 07/24/14 04:52 AM My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft
susannewilli Offline

Loc: Bayern
My food plan

I have about 2000-2300 calories per day between 3 meals and 2 liters of a special athletic drink / marching tea that I drink throughout the day.

Otherwise its hard to get the calories in and not have digestive distress.

Main constituents:
Palmin coconut fat. - Da BOMB 225kcal per 25gr block. Great mouthfeel
Nuts - Cashews - always
Chia seeds - Da BOMB
Sustained Energy - Atheletic fuel for endurance events - Da BOMB
Chaga tea - Da BOMB
Protein drink - for recovery mostly - Ho hum
Oats - Ho hum

Breakfast:
Oats with maple syrup, Palmin, chia seeds
Maybe some bacon with roast nuts depending if I can be bothered
Coffee/Chaga with Palmin

Marching tea:
Palmin
Maple Syrup
Lemon Juice
Cayenne
Chia seeds
Chaga / Coffee leftover from breakfast
Sustained Energy

This gives almost 1000 calories during the day...

Lunch
Cheese
Maybe a fruit bar

Dinner
For taste sensations I have some soup and flour for making bannock, lemon juice, cayenne, etc.
Maybe I will have caught a fish

Soup with more Palmin
Fruit bar for dessert
Schaps
Protein drink

What do you all think?

#186263 - 07/24/14 07:28 AM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: susannewilli]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I prefer the diet recommended by Dr. McDougall which is a vegan, starch-based diet.

One hole I see in your diet is a lack of insoluble carbohydrates. There are some in the oats, but those are the only insoluble carbohydrates I see. A person needs about 28 to 35 grams of insoluble carbohydrates a day to stay regular. I wouldn't add things like psyllium to your diet to get them as I've heard horror stories from people who have done that on the Appalachian Trail.

What I find works well for when I'm active is about 55% carbohydrates, 30% fats and 15% protein. For the long term, fats should be about 15%. I'm vegan, so the extra amount of fats comes from nuts.

The other hole I see in your diet is vegetables. "Just Vegetables" sells a mixture of vegetables that are easy to make. Let them soak in water for about a half hour, and then heat them. You can also eat them raw as a snack. Fruits and vegetables give needed nutrients even though they don't have many calories per gram.

I burn about 3,000 calories a day since I walk a lot. Sometimes I go for stretches of burning 4,000 calories a day. I've found that if I reduce my calories more than about 800 calories than I burn I become ravenously hungry.

For an overnight trip, people can get away with eating most anything, and I often toss whatever is in the house into my pack. If I'm going out for three nights or more, I plan things carefully so I have enough calories and the proper balance of calories. I put each day's ration into a gallon baggie, and each meal is measured. I plan to return with no extra food.

You can add to calories and nutrients by adding things like sunflower seeds, rice bran and wheat germ to almost anything. You won't taste them.

If you want to be somewhat scientific, try the diet you are planning for a week at home while exercising enough to burn an extra 1,500 calories or so. Track your calories carefully during this week so you can compare the number of calories consumed with how you feel. There are many programs online which will track calories and the balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Some will also track other needed nutrients.

You will know you are doing it right if you have good volume in your bowel movement each day, and preferably, there should be two or three bowel movements a day. There shouldn't be any loose stools. Loose stools which are close to liquid would indicate too much processed food, and too much meat or dairy in your diet. This is especially true if the loose stool occurs within an hour or so after eating. This means your last meal is being rejected by your body and it's pushing out what you ate about 12 hours ago to make room for the bad stuff to get out.

Maybe this is too much information, but it's what I've learned from studying the matter.

#186266 - 07/24/14 09:12 AM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: Gershon]
susannewilli Offline

Thank you for the very helpful feedback. Awesome. You really know your stuff. I like the home protocol. Smart.

Chia seeds are my idea for the insoluble carbs. They seems to be effective for me. (Tried and tested by me on trails)

For vegetables - Indeed. I forgot to mention that where we are going there are just heaps and heaps of nettles and other good wild greens. I plan to have a lot of those.

At home I'm on about 1200kcal so maybe I am a bit low on the calories here. Thank you for that. I will maybe go a bit higher on the nuts...and also bring some sunflower seeds as you suggested. And increase the chia seed dose.

Mmm also I didn't mention that I am pretty well fat-adapted, eg that my body is good at burning fat for fuel. (Ultra-running and expeds..)

Thank you for your excellent help!

Best

#186268 - 07/24/14 10:56 AM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: susannewilli]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Suzanne,

Talking about diet may be one of those hot button issues like stoves and footwear. Stoves and footwear are the religion and politics of backpacking.

Rather than get in the middle of it and spending too much time, I'd suggest reading "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek, and the "Starch Solution" by Dr. McDougall. I'd also recommend "The Itinerary of a Breakfast" by Dr. Kellogg. (Disclaimer: This last book is in the public domain. I published it on Amazon and I make 35 cents if you buy it. You can get it free in a harder to read format at www.archive.org)

While reading them, look for studies they reference and find them online.

I'm personally convinced a vegan diet with no additives or processing is the healthiest choice. Adding meat on rare occasions probably doesn't hurt much. I think stream caught fish in the wilderness is fine once in awhile.

Gershon

#186269 - 07/24/14 11:09 AM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: Gershon]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
Suzanne,

Talking about diet may be one of those hot button issues like stoves and footwear. Stoves and footwear are the religion and politics of backpacking.

Rather than get in the middle of it and spending too much time, I'd suggest reading "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek, and the "Starch Solution" by Dr. McDougall. I'd also recommend "The Itinerary of a Breakfast" by Dr. Kellogg. (Disclaimer: This last book is in the public domain. I published it on Amazon and I make 35 cents if you buy it. You can get it free in a harder to read format at www.archive.org)

While reading them, look for studies they reference and find them online.

I'm personally convinced a vegan diet with no additives or processing is the healthiest choice. Adding meat on rare occasions probably doesn't hurt much. I think stream caught fish in the wilderness is fine once in awhile.

Gershon

Very cool references - thank you!

#186270 - 07/24/14 12:21 PM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: susannewilli]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
If you put in pretty strenuous days you are probably going to be running a calorie deficit. I have a hard time eating enough calories the first couple days of a hike. Not a problem for me since I carry plenty extra on my body. Seeing your video it doesn't look like you have too many spare. Running a calorie deficit for 7 days may be tough.

#186274 - 07/24/14 01:54 PM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: BZH]
susannewilli Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
If you put in pretty strenuous days you are probably going to be running a calorie deficit. I have a hard time eating enough calories the first couple days of a hike. Not a problem for me since I carry plenty extra on my body. Seeing your video it doesn't look like you have too many spare. Running a calorie deficit for 7 days may be tough.

Yeah... it's a bit of a poser...

3-4 days on a big deficit is fine and I am used to that...but for 7 days I may be eating into the reserves a bit.

Thanks for the lovely thought, but I do have *quite* a bit to spare.. haha..

Main thing I think, will be to load up with enough good varied protein (amino acids) to recover properly... and to drink enough water...

And if it does all get too hard, there is a possibility to get more food, it's just an annoying detour...

Yes I am QUITE STOKED about this trip now... quite stoked..

#188058 - 12/15/14 11:55 PM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: susannewilli]
Matt Keenan Offline

Loc: California
Way cool thread, thanks for starting Susanne. Nothing to add really other than make sure you are taking stuff you'll be able to eat for 7 days in a row which it sound like you should have no problem doing.

Mostly just wanted to hand out kedos for allot of good info and references. I had never heard of Dr. McDougall but it seems like some one worth a read.

Good luck on your trip! Sound like its gonna be a blast, definatly on of the most unique trips I have heard about. I would love to here about it after words.
Happy trails
Matt

#190661 - 05/24/15 05:51 AM Re: My food plan for 7 day Stand Up Paddle / Bushcraft [Re: susannewilli]
Honas Offline

Yeah, I'd love to hear about that trip too! Sounds awesome!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum