Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183719 - 03/11/14 09:46 AM Trail snacks
bluefish Offline

My wife has to eat some food on the trail to keep her energy level up, so I searched for a very portable, easy to eat snack that would fit in a hip belt pocket. Thanks to the pro road race we have in our rural area, and a thru hiker I met on the trail, I found Honey Stinger Waffles. A thin cookie (minature hard waffle) that seems to pack a lot of energy into a small flat package. Apparently they were first popularized by European bike racers. We love them, but at 1.39 each, we would like to make our own. Anyone know a recipe? I've found they are good for eating as a snack before bed to fuel the fire for sleep in the cold. Any other compact, high energy food suggestions? Oh yeah, we can eat Cliff bars if we're going to literally die of starvation, same for any of the gels.

#183725 - 03/11/14 02:03 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Complex carbohydrates, rather than simple sugars, are the best because they are slower digesting so release the sugars in a steadier stream. For anything with high simple sugar content, you also want a high fiber content to slow the digestion of the sugar. Otherwise you get a sugar high soon followed by an insulin rush which lowers the blood sugar.

I've seen this happen; I actually made it up a 3,000 foot climb to a pass faster than a tall skinny mountaineer who was relying on candy and had to stop to eat more every 20-30 minutes. I was doing the tortoise routine (slow and steady). He would pass me at about double my speed, but when he stopped for more candy I would pass him. He had to stop again just before the top, while I was speeding up a bit because I knew we were just about there.

That yo-yo effect has been cited as a causation factor for Type 2 diabetes.

#183779 - 03/12/14 07:14 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I am a firm believer in a good trail mix in a large ziplock bag. For day trips, I pack 1 large bag and 1 small snack bag -then refill the snack bag as necessary. The large bag stays in the pack and the small bag goes in a pocket for quick retrieve. My homemade GORP list includes:

CHEX Party Mix - Bold Flavor
Peanut M&Ms
Banana Chips
Pre-Shelled Sunflower Seeds
Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds and/or Walnuts (any combo)
Dried Cranberries

This has become such a popular mix amongst my outdoor compatriots, we don't bother with meals on the trail (or paddling), we just graze all day. That's my list and I'm sticking to it!

#183793 - 03/13/14 09:56 AM Re: Trail snacks [Re: dylansdad77]
bluefish Offline

OM thanks for the metabolic explanation. My wife at age 66, did 2 rugged 4k plus gains in the past year, so it's not as if we aren't on the right track.... We've been backpacking together for 25 years, and I don't ever remember a candy bar being carried with the exception of a Hershey Bar with almonds I'd eat before crawling in the bag in the winter. I was more hoping to find a recipe for those waffles. A neighbor tried to make us some, after she tried them on a long hike through the Alps. They came out like mini hockey pucks, so the search continues. Besides the de gustibus non disputandum thing, (matters of taste can't be argued) different metabolisms process things at different rates, but I heartily agree a sugar overload isn't what gets the job done.

#183797 - 03/13/14 11:11 AM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
lori Offline

i'm not sure about being able to replicate something full of artificial goo. I've seen plenty of recipes for trail bar copies like Lara bars or Cliff bars, but never honey stinger anything.

good luck with that. You may be doomed to buying them by the case.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183799 - 03/13/14 11:20 AM Re: Trail snacks [Re: lori]
bluefish Offline

Since they are an entirely organic product, and contain no chemical additives, I hardly consider them artificial goo.
I'll figure a recipe out someday, for now I'll gladly buy them.

#183800 - 03/13/14 12:53 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Just read the label - all ingredients should be listed. If there are any ingredients, no matter how small an amount, that are not readily available in a store (I am thinking of food additives that are still "natural" but only available to commercial food processors) then I doubt you would be able to replicate the bar. Experiment with baking/cooking methods as well as proportions of ingredients. They may not even be baked - rather smashed with a big press. I would think with enough experimenting you could come up with something fairly close to the bar, if not exactly the same.

#183801 - 03/13/14 01:59 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I would get a pizzelle press. Start with a pizzelle recipe and then start substituting ingredients from the honey stinger. Just keep the dough at a similar consistency.

In sweet treats I have found substituting whole wheat flour for the ap flour works well and gives the cookie/bar a nice nutty flavor. Sometime you need a little ap flour for the gluten to keep the consistency similar

#183802 - 03/13/14 02:04 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: BZH]
lori Offline

the thing is, those waffles are five different sweeteners with a bit of wheat flour. what little nutriton there is comes from the honey, fifth ingredient on the list.

trying to make Kind bars taught me that honey is a poor choice, difficult to use as a main ingredient - the consistency is gooey or like a hockey puck. so i used rice syrup and had a much better end result with fruit and nut bars.

the waffle minus the honey sounds like just another cookie. processed sugar products are hardly natural, whether or not they are organic.

Edited by lori (03/13/14 02:12 PM)

#183804 - 03/13/14 02:26 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: lori]
bluefish Offline

Wheat flour is the first ingredient, and they aren't overly sweet. Considering a lot of the riders in the Tour de France and Olympic athletes use them, I kinda doubt there as junky as you may think. All in all, I kinda regret posting this, as I'm not a fool, and wasn't trying to steer people towards some horrible food. This forum isn't for me, I don't like to argue, and will gladly concede others are far better than me, but hike no farther and enjoy themselves any more. Vaya con Dios. If that offends, I can live with it.

#183807 - 03/13/14 03:10 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
lori Offline

I was summarizing from the honey stinger website - they are the ones claiming the honey is the main nutrition source, not me. I recognize the sweeteners on the ingredient list because they are sweeteners in many trail bar recipes I have followed. sorry if that sounded argumentative - but it is pretty clearly laid out on ingredient lists.

Organic simply means no chemicals were involved, whether hormones or pesticides. definitely if I eat sugar I would prefer organic. But it's not the same as natural. I had some energy chews that contained organic carnauba - which is wax.

#183809 - 03/13/14 03:16 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]

I don't think any of us are trying to "argue" here. From a moderator's point of view, all the posts on this thread are quite mellow. The various posters are just presenting alternatives based on our own studies of backpacking nutrition. If you wish to reject them, fine. But this is a forum with many different people. Don't expect us all to agree with you (or anyone else); it ain't gonna happen! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/14 03:28 PM)

#183811 - 03/13/14 03:21 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
jimmyb Offline

PM sent. Check your mail.

jimmyb

#183812 - 03/13/14 03:25 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

I'm definitely not throwing rocks at junk food - gummy bears are my trail sin.

but organic is not the same as natural - the dichotomy is organic vs chemical/pesticide, natural/raw vs processed. bodies in cold environments or needing slow burning fuel need complex carbs and fats. Mountaineers write books and articles on this subject. Simple sugars are fine if you're getting enough of the rest.

#183814 - 03/13/14 03:30 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

With all due respect the Gentleman requested recipes or other snack suggestions, not a critique on his original choice. It would be a good idea to stick more to the original posters questions than to stray off. If they like the honey stingers they like the honey stingers. Big deal. lol

jimmyb

#183815 - 03/13/14 03:47 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I can't answer the original question, which is really what bluefish wants. Replicating commercial products in a home kitchen is partly art and partly voodoo. All I can say is that if you are motivated enough and willing to make enough dud batches, you'll probably come up with a homemade substitute your wife likes. Or maybe not. smile

As far as metabolizing food to energy, hiking is generally far less demanding than the athletic competitions, so speaking very generally, complex carbs that enter the bloodstream more slowly seem better suited to hiking. But, if your wife thinks these snacks work for her particular body and her personal needs, then she's the expert. I'm just the stranger sitting at a keyboard far, far away.

#183817 - 03/13/14 04:45 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: bluefish]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
bluefish, please don't get too down on the feedback you receive. Try as I may I have given up trying to control the way people respond to my questions. When I don't get the information I was looking for from a community I just remind myself that the people who responded put there own time and effort trying to help me without me giving them anything. I thank them for their response then focus on the people who gave me information that was more helpful. For instance (to toot my own horn) I thought I gave you a pretty good lead to make honey stingers on your own. Lori, who comes across as abrasive to some people, also gave you some good info. Namely, that she found rice syrup works better for these types of recipes than honey.

I have taken stroopwafels, which I think are very similar. Heck, Loganbread, which seems quite popular around here, is pretty darn close to a honey stinger and a handful of gorp.

#183818 - 03/13/14 05:57 PM Re: Trail snacks [Re: BZH]

Thanks, BZH; you've expressed it better than I can.

Bluefish, we moderators (in addition to fighting spam) keep an eye out for discourteous posts and for anything getting really off-topic. I don't think that any of us moderators consider the responses here off-topic, especially since your subject line was "trail snacks." The original poster has no ownership over a thread, although we mods do try to keep things within bounds. Nor is the Original Poster obliged to dispute every response. I can think of a few things that could have gotten this thread way off topic, but I don't want to give anyone ideas!
lol

The other aspect of a forum is that most of us are also addressing other readers who may happen along and not just the OP. For example, I always have in the back of my mind that beginners lurking here are liable to read my posts.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/14 06:03 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum