Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117116 - 06/10/09 11:54 PM Need some recommendations for cookware and stove
sirpilf Offline

Loc: minnesota
Hello, I registered to get some help with my decision. i never backpacked before, always had a drive up site and had access to grills and such, but I am planning on getting a pack stove.

i was debating between the MSR dragonfly or XGK. i wanted the dragonfly because of the good temp control but i think im gonna go with the XGK for the size and it looks more durable. i figure if im gonna be backpacking where i dont have access to a regular stove/grill i wont be making fancy meals anyways.

the other advice i needed was on cookware. i would like one possibly with nonstick, but i read a review of the XGK and someone said they burned a hole through their aluminum pan... is this something i should be worried about? i was thinkin of going with one of those sets that just has a pot and a lit that doubles as a pan, or multiple pots/pans that close in on each other, but i would also like to carry the XGK inside of them.

any recommendations?

#117123 - 06/11/09 09:38 AM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: sirpilf]
lori Offline

Unless you are going in winter, why do you want white gas stoves? Or do you need the multi-fuel feature?

A canister stove or alcohol stove will boil water and do some basic cooking without all the weight of the white gas. There are some wider burner canister stoves like the Windpro that would work just as well as the dragonfly or XGK.

I tend to boil only, or steam bake, but not fry. I didn't care for the fry pan lid sets because they fit together so loosely. So I use hard anodized aluminum and uncoated titanium for boiling water or for steam baking with silicon cups, and were I to cave in and get a frypan I'd probably pick up a separate one to carry. YMMV.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117132 - 06/11/09 02:23 PM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: lori]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I agree with Lori - a MSR Windpro remote canister stove is a good investment for those who like to cook beyond just boiling water. It isn't the fastest stove for water boiling but it is highly tuneable, is light for the type of stove it is and it works well with large pots as well.

As for pots - you have to ask what you will do most. Buy good the first time - doesn't mean pricey though. GSI, MSR, some REI, etc are good buys. Hard anodized aluminum is a good choice price wise - it heats evenly as well. Whether or not you get a non stick finish is up to you. A fry pan can be a tricky one. A few fry pan lids are good, but most blow. You definitely have to be careful while cooking in them - so you don't fry the middle while the outside is raw. Getting say a $25 MSR 9" Flex System fry pan is a good choice - you can actually cook in it!

#117137 - 06/11/09 04:46 PM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: sarbar]
sirpilf Offline

Loc: minnesota
thanks guys, and I wanted white fuel because although I havent yet, i do want to camp this winter. I live in Duluth, MN and I wanted a good one for winter and high altitude, although im not really sure how high it really means. ive been camping in colorado, montana, and alberta in the mountains but I guess i never put the effort to see how high of altitude regular gas stoves work.

i ended up going with the dragonfly and a msr stainless steel pot/pan set. im not the greatest cook but hopefully i can keep them from getting messed up from getting burnt stuff stuck haha. some people recommended just keeping a little olive oil with you.

if i dont like the stuff, not a big deal, my parents love camping too and im sure they wouldnt mind getting "hand me downs" from me if i ever bought newer better quality stuff.

#117139 - 06/11/09 05:04 PM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: sirpilf]
lori Offline

As long as you're happy with what you have, that's what counts. Tho stainless is the heaviest pot you'll find...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117141 - 06/11/09 05:17 PM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: lori]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I used a whisperlight and MSR stainless cook set for years. The pots work great but watch out with the fry pan. It is really easy to overheat and warp. If you are looking to go lighter, just pick the pan size you need and leave the other one at home. Most of the time, I have no need for more than one pot. Only when I'm going really gourmet or melting snow is a second necessary.

By the way, I'm in MN too and the MSR white gas stovew work great in winter!

#117405 - 06/18/09 11:13 PM Re: Need some recommendations for cookware and stove [Re: thecook]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
For summer I now use a Brunton Flex canister stove.

For winter I use my MSR Dragonfly. Best simmering white gas stove EVER made. Also MSR's heaviest stove but dead reliable.

My pot is a JetBoil 1.5 L. W/ the handles removed and handle bracket cut off. This is an extemely eficient pot with its heat exchanger bottom and cozy sides. I did cut the center out of the heat exchanger plastic protective cover. All the cutting and removing to save weight.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum