Has anyone tried one of the pen-type fishing rods (so named because they resemble a large fountain pen when collapsed)?

I've looked at the ones on penfishingrods.com, but I gather there are quite a few others. It's the fly rod I'd be interested in.

I haven't fished for years, partly due to circumstance and partly because all my fishing gear was stolen (they even took the fly-tying materials...I wonder if they even knew what it was.) I just never replaced it, as I'd sort of lost interest anyway.

Anyway, at age 70 and long-time Oregon resident, a license only costs $6 now, so I'm thinking maybe it would be worthwhile to carry a minimal fly-fishing kit.

I once had a nice (for the time) pack rod, but the one I had the most fun with was a 5-1/2ft. glass rod. Obviously not a great fly rod, and roll casting and mending were difficult to impossible, but I look back on it fondly nevertheless.

The pen-type rods seem like a natural for non-serious fishing, and they're fairly cheap. The ones on the web site mentioned require a special light line made by Cortland, called "00" but I think it might be a 2-weight. Terrific in the wind, I'm sure. Also, I think the reel only holds 8 yards plus a little backing.

Any other ideas?