Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134077 - 05/22/10 03:08 AM fishing the JMT
Colindo Offline

Loc: United States
So ill be hiking the JMT this july and Im certainly planning on taking a pole along the way. I hear fly fishing is the most successful method, but I'm interested in hearing what some of the other hikers had luck trying. I'm not the best with a fly fishing pool and I don't really have a good setup for a long distance backpacking trip, but Im willing to give anything a try. So what is some of your setups that provided fresh trout on the trail?

#134078 - 05/22/10 03:33 AM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Colindo
So ill be hiking the JMT this july and Im certainly planning on taking a pole along the way. I hear fly fishing is the most successful method, but I'm interested in hearing what some of the other hikers had luck trying. I'm not the best with a fly fishing pool and I don't really have a good setup for a long distance backpacking trip, but Im willing to give anything a try. So what is some of your setups that provided fresh trout on the trail?

I am not really sure on your question.

You have a fly-rod/reel and line set-up already correct? Then apart from some terminal tackle (leaders, tippet, floatant, nippers, splitshot/putty) you don't need anything but flies.

If you are asking what flies to use-- then there in lies the beauty of fly-fishing-- there is no answer. Four different fishermen can fish the same water and catch four different fish.

I recently just purchase a Tenkara rod-- it as not arrived yet, so I can't vouch for it, but other people love it for backpacking. I currently use a traditional 9"5-4piece rod and reel and have never had a problem catching fish with such a set-up in the past decade or so.

#134088 - 05/22/10 12:21 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
lori Offline

I fish in the central Sierras while backpacking and have fished along part of the JMT. I usually take a cheap (because I am hard on gear) spinning outfit with a small plano full of flies (grasshoppers, black gnats and black ants are popular and work well), a couple of those twist-on bobbers, and a selection of spinners, rooster tails, and a kastmaster.

Mind the regulations where you go - you will find yourself in areas where it's artificial lures only and barbless hooks. Wild rainbows in some rivers/streams in Yosemite are catch and release only.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#134090 - 05/22/10 12:53 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By Colindo

Tenkara fly fishing is much easier to learn than Western fly fishing. Even if you're not the best caster, you can probably figure Tenkara out in just a few minutes and be able to cast well enough to catch fish. Plus, the rods are so light and compact that you won't even know you're carrying one. I just slip one in the side pocket of my pack. Since the rods collapse into themselves, you don't need to bring a heavy plastic case (the rod becomes it's own case). You might want to look into them.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#134094 - 05/22/10 02:54 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: jasonklass]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
There is a "fishing" topic on Sierra Topix forum. A lot of serious Sierra fishermen post on this site - it really is worth a look. The experience on that forum regarding fishing in the Sierra is far superior to our forum here.

#134100 - 05/22/10 06:04 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: wandering_daisy]
Colindo Offline

Loc: United States
sorry for being unclear. I think I would rather bring a ultralight spinning rod setup just because im more familiar with the equipment and its versatility. I was just wondering what kind of luck people have had along the JMT with a setup like this, if any at all?

#134104 - 05/22/10 08:06 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
While Tenkara would seem to be a great system for the smaller creeks and streams of the high Sierra, I don't think it allows you to cast as well for lake fishing, or larger rivers.

And we all know that UL backpackers NEVER take split shot--too heavy! laugh

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#134106 - 05/22/10 08:27 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: balzaccom]
Bushman Offline

a fishing pole with float line is recommended with a large supply of flies.
dont forget the reel and leader line cool
edit: really I would just bring a small bit of float line and leader, I would hate to bring the pole even if its a 4-p. I just use a walking stick or hiking pole.

Edited by Bushman (05/22/10 08:40 PM)

#134200 - 05/25/10 12:34 AM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
For years now, I have been using my old telescoping rod and a spinning reel. 4 lb. test line, clear Adjust-a-bubble brand bubble that the lines goes thru and then twists around the line to hold in place and a fly of the fishes choice. Add some water to the bubble if you like, throw it out, but stop the line before it hits the water so the fly has a small chance of clearing the bubble. You will still get wrapped around the bubble a lot. Flies, mosquito, both red and gray, black ant/knat, red ant, gold beaded thingies in two or three different pattern range. The fly shops are a big help. You only need a couple of each in 8-10 patterns I would say. Fly rods do the best, but I can stay busy if the fishing is good. Not all locations are good.

#134448 - 05/31/10 10:56 AM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: hikerduane]
wandering_daisy Offline

Fly fishing is as succesful as the fisherman's skills. If you are a good fly fisherman, go for the fly rod, otherwise the fly on the bob idea is good. My fishing skills are mediocre at best, but I have been OK with only two types of flies - mosquito-looking things and fly-looking things. My kids tied flies and gave them for me for birthdays and Christmas for years - they are like kid's art - unique to say the least! Twenty years later I still use these and catch fish- at least the dumb ones!

If you are serious about fishing, check with F&G and make a list of lakes and streams that have fish and mark these on your map. Years ago I found a web-site with this listing. No point in trying to fish a barren lake.

#134463 - 05/31/10 08:13 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Colindo]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Colindo said
"So what is some of your setups that provided fresh trout on the trail?"

We have had discussions about the idea of "providing fresh trout" while camping and there are a couple of things to think about - fishing takes time and commitment, so does hiking the JMT. Fishing tackle adds weight, you may catch nothing at all, and finally on the JMT you are in a very fragile eco system and removing (unstocked) fish from lakes in the Sierras, especially golden trout, may not be in the best interest of those species. However sadly, many lakes up there have been destroyed and small black catfish have taken over a lot of areas where native trout can no longer live. As far as know there are no restrictions on catching them. They like mashmallows and artificial bait.
Jim

#134955 - 06/10/10 01:37 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Jimshaw]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Shakespeare makes a fly rod thats 3pc 8' 5/6wt with floating line (http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Fly-Fishing-Reel-weight/dp/B001JAA6E0) It retails for 29.99 and it comes with real,line,leader and flys. For $30 bucks carry it into the woods catch some trout tear it up and other wise have a great time. up untill last summer when i took that rod setup with my traditional ul spincast setup to the ellicot rock willderness trail in sumter nat forest. I had ben a ul spincast fisherman. long story short i cought upwards to 15-20 trout some of some nice size 13-14" . With no previous fly fishin exp just some comon sence. I havent turnd back i now exlusivly fly fish and do so atleast once a week on my local watters for bass and bream. My spincast setup has been neglected every sence i pickd up that darn fly rod. The True beauty of fly fishing once you get the hang of it is absoulute line controll.
good luck
ps its def lighter than spincast even that cheep 30 dollar rod

#134956 - 06/10/10 01:40 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
oh yeah the one thing you will need to know before tryin to assemble is a few knots the all on the back of the box but practice them on some larger diam mono or somethin untill you get the hang of it.

#143976 - 12/26/10 12:17 PM Re: fishing the JMT [Re: Samoset]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Ok, so I'm a little late and hope you had a great trip.
I hiked the JMT last summer and over a 16 day period, only fished five times. Lyell Canyon, Marie Lake, Wanda Lake(no fish), Rae Lakes, and Hitchcock Lakes. After the long days of hiking, I just didn't feel like it. However, when I did take the time, the fishing was excellent. A lightweight pole, spin-cast real, a clear bubble with a 2 lb leader, and a who knows what assortment of flies is all I really ever use.
I usually get more fishing on the shorter trips. If and when I do the JMT again, depending on funds, trying out the much lighter Tenkara set up looks good. Although you loose the casting option, the are a lot of places that the fish are up close. I guess it just depends on the person doing the fishing. As mentioned before, ((There is a "fishing" topic on Sierra Topix forum.)) Keep it simple and light, and enjoy..

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum