A couple of recent posts bemoaning the fact that the "outdoor industry" is largely fashion-oriented reminded me of a post I made years ago. I think it was something like, "What part does aesthetics play in your gear choices?)

Well, I'm asking again. I find that, if I'm honest, it plays a significant part. I know it's silly, but it does. For example, I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear Piero 5-pocket pants, which are fairly stout nylon (8oz maybe?) and cut like jeans. They weigh 14.7 ounces and I like them much more than my REI Sahara pants, which are about 5 ounces lighter and still a little baggy despite the fact I removed the crotch gusset and took the legs in a little. I know the REI pants are the logical choice, since they're lighter and I always carry long johns anyway. Still, I like the MH pants, so tend to take them. Like it or not, clothes seem to affect the way we feel.

It extends to gear, too. If you found the ideal tent, pack, or sleeping bag, but it was only available in shocking pink camouflage, would you buy it?

Of course, personal taste is malleable. Often things that aren't particularly aesthetically pleasing at first become so after a while, like the VW Beetle or the bell-bottom pants of my youth.

Anyway, what do you think?