It has now been a few years since I posted the thread on observations of light weight backpackers. This summer we did a trip in the same area. This time I must say, we were the heavy weights! We met a lot of JMT through hikers and they all seemed to have new light weight gear. I think the through-hikers have got the message! Gear makers are really emphasizing light weight and people are buying lots of it. Yes I did see a few old external frame packs but the majority were the new smaller packs. Most "heavy weights" like us were not through-hiking, rather we were "destination" hiking to fish or climb.

Which brings me again to comment on the John Muir Trail (JMT). Overuse of this trail has really degraded the wilderness experience as well as many lakes and streams along the trail. Published (and internet) trail guides seem to be channelling people to the same campsites. In their rush to complete the "trail" most JMT hikers do not even think of camping more than 20 yards off the trail! I think the internet has really pushed the "bragging rights" appeal of big name trails and the Forest Service and Park Service have not kept up the permit system to account for this new trend. Permits are given by trailhead entry quotas, with everyone heading to the JMT creating a clog of people on the trail. I go days without seeing anyone and then step onto the JMT and see 20+ people in an hour!