Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188786 - 01/28/15 03:39 PM Proper Use of Vapor Barrier Socks
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Over the weekend I had good results using a vapor barrier (bread bags in my case) in warmer weather (low 30s and up), at least until one of them developed a hole. However, I was just reviewing their proper use online, and I see that it's recommended to use VBLs under your socks whereas I was using them over my socks. My thinking was that, yes, I was going to have wet feet from perspiration, but at least it would be warm wet feet. On the other hand, without the VBL, or with the VBL under my insulation, the cold water from the marsh I was hiking through would carry away all the heat very quickly, and I'd be left with wet and cold feet. It seems to have worked out for me the way I imagined, but perhaps it's different in colder weather? Maybe whoever came up with the VBL concept didn't really intend for them to be used in a wet environment with light shoes? Does anyone have any thoughts to add on this based on theoretical or practical experience?

#188791 - 01/28/15 04:48 PM Re: Proper Use of Vapor Barrier Socks [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I only use a VBL at night, when the temps are approaching or below freezing. I never use it next to my skin but put a layer of synthetic base layer in between.

On the other hand, I've often used the plastic bags over the socks in cold wet conditions. That's not so much a VBL as keeping socks and feet dry. I suspect all-day use is not a good idea, because socks will become saturated with body moisture.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/28/15 04:50 PM)

#188792 - 01/28/15 04:56 PM Re: Proper Use of Vapor Barrier Socks [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
IIUC VBs are ideally used in very cold (e.g., below 20F) dry conditions where sweat is less of an issue. I don't think you necessarily used them incorrectly, but the typical reason for the whole bread-bag thing is to keep soaked shoes from soaking socks and leading to freezing feet. It's what mom did before sending us out to play in the (always slushy) snow when we were kids.

For trail travel I'd wear a thin inner sock, then the VBL then an outer sock. But as I never hike in the super-cold I've not done this myself. Generally, I prefer WPB gaiters. (Have use a VB sleeping bag liner.)

I've used neoprene socks and Goretex socks cycling, and they're a huge help. It's hard to keep feet warm on a bike.

#188797 - 01/28/15 05:34 PM Re: Proper Use of Vapor Barrier Socks [Re: Rick_D]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Based on what you guys are telling me, I'm thinking there's five distinct situations which call for distinct solutions:

1) Cool (not cold) wet weather - bread bags over socks.
2) Cool dry weather - no barrier necessary
2) Cold dry weather - VBL under socks (over thin base).
3) Warm/hot weather, wet or dry - no barrier, just deal with wet feet.
4) Cold wet weather - I don't know, buy boots maybe?

#188799 - 01/28/15 06:13 PM Re: Proper Use of Vapor Barrier Socks [Re: 4evrplan]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Seems like a good summary. The most miserable weather is usually between 30-40F, give or take, and traveling over snow when it's raining is my least favorite thing to do. How the heck did I ever take to hiking in the Northwest?

Waterproof boots/shoes and lots of sock changes isn't a bad way to go. An unfortunate coincidence is that I blister most easily when my feet are wet, so getting them dry at least a couple times/day is really important.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum