Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185852 - 06/21/14 09:51 AM Safety on the trail...and elsewhere
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
From Backpacker Magazine:

"According to the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, your odds of becoming a victim of violent crime in a national park are one in 708,000. In the United States overall, it’s one in 50."

Be careful--especially once you get back home!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185856 - 06/21/14 04:40 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
bluefish Offline

Guess I'll have to spend lots more time in them to test the statistical accuracy. thanks

#185857 - 06/21/14 06:57 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I think Backpacker may be a bit off with that national statistic. Maybe they added property crimes in there along with "violent" crimes? shocked

#185876 - 06/22/14 07:11 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: aimless]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
If that were actually the case then I can certainly see why they are now allowing those with Concealed Weapon Permits into the parks. If the odds are 1-50 I've been missed way too many times...

#185878 - 06/22/14 09:37 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: AdventureMyk]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, you can carry a firearm in a National Park (if you have a concealed weapon permit valid in that particular state), but firing one is a no-no that will lead to expensive fines and jail time! Why bother to carry something you can't use?

#185885 - 06/23/14 09:16 AM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: aimless]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By aimless
I think Backpacker may be a bit off with that national statistic. Maybe they added property crimes in there along with "violent" crimes? shocked

A story in the paper today noted that 30% of all women in the US have experienced physical abuse in their marriage....that may add to the statistics....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#185895 - 06/23/14 12:50 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
That's an interesting theory, but, domestic violence being what it is, I suspect very few of those incidents make it into crime statistics because they go unreported. frown

#186355 - 07/30/14 08:53 AM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I wonder if they factored in muggings by bears? smile The ladies at work worry about me being out there alone.
Duane

#186360 - 07/30/14 11:22 AM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That 1 in 50 might be right. The neighborhood I grew up in is now the 5th most dangerous in the US. Odds of being a victim of a violent crime there are now 1 in 11.

25 most dangerous neighborhoods.

"You want to go where?"

#187560 - 11/01/14 07:41 AM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: balzaccom]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
When I was single I hiked solo a lot. Didn't worry a second about bugs, bears, snakes, any of the other calamities the guys at work teased me about. Worried about people. It's unnerving bumping into guys who feel the need to make comments like,"What's a young girl like you doing out here all alone?" I had a hard time sleeping at night in those cases. But in the end nothing ever happened.

Now I'm 48 yrs old and married, no more solo backpacking. Looking back, despite the sleepless nights, after all these years the only true near miss I've encountered was bumping into an out of control pit bull on the trail. Zero violent incidents.

In my "real" life (ie city life) in my younger days, I've had a car break in, a stolen purse, and a home burglary (thank goodness I wasn't home when it happened). Even once had a guy jump into my car and demand to be taken somewhere when I was stopped waiting to make a turn. Drove with doors locked ever since.

I agree with Balzaccom. Although I've never been a victim of violent crime, I think our odds are better in the wild.

#187898 - 12/04/14 11:57 AM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: Mama]
Minx Offline

Safety is something I believe needs constant vigilance. Interesting that this thread gets more woman adding to it. City life is out of control. I worry about my daughter. Feel like I need to get her out in the woods where it's safe.
I have always thought of backpacking as an extension of prepping... visa versa I guess. I know it's not very pc in this forum community but the 2 things are so related, at least for me. Being prepared to handle a situation, on the trail or in the city has always been second nature to me. Even as a kid. (Too many Batman and Spiderman comics as a kid probably)
I am constantly amazed at many people's lack of thought about safety, on trail or city but less seen on trail by virtue of the activities very nature.
Prepping does not mean one has to be nuts about it as is seen on many a media with hoarding ammo and such, just as ultralight (or at least lightweight) does not have to mean cutting your toothbrush in half. There is, in my mind at least, a perfectly rational way to think about, address and prepare for worst case scenarios without being psycho or causing undo stress. Simply thinking thru some "what ifs" is a healthy thing. What would I need if...
For example. Driving a car in Arizona without a little water in the trunk verges on complete idiocy in my opinion. Maybe a first aid kit and tow line or tarp or other shade - maker as well? It's fracking hot here and if you are out a ways...well, you get it.
Likewise on the trail. The lady who mentioned "sleepless nights" because of creeps above. Exactly. What if? Being prepared might mitigate a bit of that feeling and help if the what if happened. So glad it never did.
An oz of pepper spray beats a pound of worry. Maybe?
I have only had one violent encounter out in the wilderness in over 40 years of backpacking. It is extremely rare. I don't give it a second thought, but I do give it a first thought.

Tread lightly.

Edited by aimless (12/04/14 03:39 PM)

#187902 - 12/04/14 01:57 PM Re: Safety on the trail...and elsewhere [Re: Minx]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Planning is important, and that begins with frame of mind (IMHO).

Where is "city life out of control?" Nationally, crime is at 30-40 year lows and trending downward, so if there's a city where that trend is reversed, I'd give serious consideration to moving away. Planning I can believe in.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum