Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115374 - 05/03/09 01:05 AM serious question: Toilet paper! *****
Teej Offline

Loc: USA

I am very interested in taking a NOLS course, but I do not know how I would survive practicing their minimalist bathroom procedures. It seems that they have a "leave nothing behind" motto, which encompasses toilet paper. I think that if I had to wipe with pine cones and twigs for two months I would be in serious pain by the end of my journey. Is there a semi comfortable way to survive outside without toilet paper?

#115375 - 05/03/09 01:50 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
JWE Offline

Loc: Salem OR USA
I can't think of one but I know people who will put there used tp in ziplocs and carry it back out with them. I've seen biodegradable tp too but have never used it.

#115393 - 05/03/09 01:04 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: JWE]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Leave nothing behind means if you pack it in, you pack it out. Not sure if there's a substitute for TP other then leaves and pinecone. In certain area's of the Sierra's, it mandatory you pack out your used TP. Mt. Whitney supplies Wag bags for more then just TP, and that mandatory as well. Kinda hard to get past our old ways of just bury and forget, but it's for good reason.

You could try nettles or poisen oak...

#115394 - 05/03/09 03:02 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Teej

Its true, most of the people who inhabit this planet do not know what a roll of toilet paper is eek. As a skier I can attest to the effectiveness of snow, ;)but then its a form of water, so without toilet paper you will want water and soap, grin biodegradable soap. goodjob Otherwise you might wanna invest in "scent lock" hunting clothes that keep your human scent in. sick sick

Cowboys had 2 bandannas, a red and a blue. One they wore around their neck, the other was for washing his rear end. goodjob

Enjoy your trip. A bandanna is sustainable and soft. Heck take 2, they're light. smile
Jim YMMV

#115395 - 05/03/09 03:36 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Jimshaw]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's interesting, Jimshaw. I've heard that in the "old days" people used to use old towels, hankerchiefs, etc.

Supposedly there's TP made for mobile homes that completely dissolves in water. Technically I don't know if it's biodegradeable.

#115404 - 05/03/09 05:48 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Do an archive search on the subject and you should come across about a brazillian posts on the subject.

In a nutshell, and Jimshaw's right, learn to use water, soap, local leaves/grasses, and you'll be on par with most of the world. If your hike is long enough, you'll eventually run out of TP, so why not learn to do without from the get-go. You'll save several ounces from you pack weight.
I do sometimes carry a 8" "washrag" cut from that yellow 'camp-towel' stuff from Walmart's camping section. It dries out quickly and is used just like your wash cloths at home. Lean what "lambs ear" is. Soft moss too. grin
I personally can't think of anything grosser to put in your pack than a weeks worth of used TP, baggie or not...ick. confused

#115408 - 05/03/09 06:23 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Dryer]
Knaight Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I don't know about the soft moss suggestion. I don't like the idea of ripping up something that takes a fair bit of time to grow just for the purpose of cleaning myself.

#115413 - 05/03/09 07:25 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Knaight]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
I don't like the idea of ripping up something that takes a fair bit of time to grow just for the purpose of cleaning myself.

Depends on where you are. In a national park or protected area, no. But then you are digging through top soil that took many years to form, for your cat hole.
Around here, plants like lambs ear grow like weeds and pulling off a leaf or two isn't a problem. Use what you want, but don't kid yourself about TP being an 'environmental friendly' solution.

#115415 - 05/03/09 07:50 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Dryer]
Knaight Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By Dryer
Quote:
I don't like the idea of ripping up something that takes a fair bit of time to grow just for the purpose of cleaning myself.

Depends on where you are. In a national park or protected area, no. But then you are digging through top soil that took many years to form, for your cat hole.
Around here, plants like lambs ear grow like weeds and pulling off a leaf or two isn't a problem. Use what you want, but don't kid yourself about TP being an 'environmental friendly' solution.

My issue is definitely not with a leaf or two. A couple of leaves missing from your average tree will go unnoticed. A clump of missing moss is a bit more obvious and takes a longer amount of time to grow back, that's all.

#115435 - 05/04/09 12:47 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Jimshaw]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Teej

Its true, most of the people who inhabit this planet do not know what a roll of toilet paper is eek. As a skier I can attest to the effectiveness of snow, ;)but then its a form of water, so without toilet paper you will want water and soap, grin biodegradable soap. goodjob Otherwise you might wanna invest in "scent lock" hunting clothes that keep your human scent in. sick sick

Cowboys had 2 bandannas, a red and a blue. One they wore around their neck, the other was for washing his rear end. goodjob

Enjoy your trip. A bandanna is sustainable and soft. Heck take 2, they're light. smile
Jim YMMV

Jim, your use of emoticons is out of control!!! Maybe a side effect of using too much snow? laugh

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#115441 - 05/04/09 05:49 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Maybe someone needs to come up with an attachment for a water bottle or bladder to "hose" yourself off with. Something that detachs so it can be put away or even a light, separate bladder with a simple way to pressurize it so you can hit the right spot. Could even be hung around your neck to use elevation to create some pressure, but a longer hose then what comes with a bladder may be needed. Don't have time to grab mine to check its length.

#115449 - 05/04/09 08:15 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: hikerduane]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
I use a dedicated .5L platy with a spout. It works just fine by either "shooting" water where it needs to go or pouring it down my arm. Add a drop of Bronner's, and I'm all set.

#115456 - 05/04/09 09:22 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: jasonklass]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Jim, goodjob thanks 2 bandanas wink probably a long forgotten practice thanks sounds like it's much better than a corn cob. eek My next trip out I'm using bandanas thanks grin wink laugh laugh laugh

#115461 - 05/04/09 10:14 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: mmendell]
lori Offline

The backpacker's bidet? Now I've seen everything.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115467 - 05/04/09 12:56 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: mmendell]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Do you use purified or unpurified water with that bidet?

Yeah, that sounds like smart-aleck question, but it's really intended to be serious. Since you're introducing water near the opening to the intestines, would unpurified water offer an increased risk of introducing potential intestinal bugs/infections/parasites? I don't know nearly enough about physiology and biology to know if this is a risk or not.

#115469 - 05/04/09 01:10 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Glenn]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
Since you're introducing water near the opening to the intestines,

Ever go swimming in a lake/stream/river/ocean? Same difference and TP is anything but sterile. It's abrasiveness can cause raw skin, and now you are into the blood stream! smirk
"Death caused by overuse of toilet paper" is what your death certificate will read. grin

#115473 - 05/04/09 02:04 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Dryer]
Glenn Offline

Good points, Paul - I should have thought of the obvious. blush

The only difference I can think of is that, when swimming in that lake or stream, the opening is, well, closed; when cleaning, maybe not so much, er, closed? (And I do remember a time, in the early 70's, when the Gulf was so polluted at Biloxi, Mississippi, that the Air Force allowed us on the beach, but made the water off limits. (Of course, that's not your typical wilderness lake, either.)

Awkward phrasing, I'll admit; and, again, I'm not informed enough to know how this physical process works.

#115476 - 05/04/09 02:26 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Glenn]
hikerduane Offline

Take 20 prunes and call me in the morning.:)

#115477 - 05/04/09 02:34 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

Duane: I love prunes as much as the next guy - but what you're suggesting would REALLY open things up! grin

#115493 - 05/04/09 07:37 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I taught with NOLS from 2001-2003.

When a NOLS course goes out, usually with about 15 hikers, 12 students and 3 instructors, they take one roll of TP with them for emergencies only.

The rest of the time, you make due with natural TP. My first choice if it is available: SNOW. Cleans as it invigorates. Very effective.

Second: western pine cones. They are thoroughly different from those I grew up with in the east. No sharp edges and they are basically brushes that work quite well. I've actually known students to fill a plastic bag with the softest, "downiest" pinecones they can find at each campsite so they have a ready supply of natural TP.

In Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Oregon, and Washington, I was always able to find decent wiping material. It just takes a bit of practice.

Back east, it's tougher. Rear-ripping pine cones and crumbling leaves laugh Bad s*** in more ways than one...

#115516 - 05/05/09 08:33 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Glenn]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
I use filtered water in my backcountry "bidet," but only because I use a gravity filter and it's the easiest way to fill it.

I managed to convince my 2 girls, 12 and 15, to go paperless on a 5 day hike in Canyonland a couple of weeks ago. The 12-year-old did very well, and the 15-year-old just didn't go for 5 days. She hit the potty at the trailhead when we finished and was just fine!

#115519 - 05/05/09 10:12 AM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: mmendell]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I try to pack out as much TP as I can on hikes. I have a system I have developed over the years for garbage. Pretty it isn't, it works though.

I don't like going TP-less. So I am willing to carry it both ways.

#115532 - 05/05/09 02:28 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Glenn]
hikerduane Offline

A family survived by giving each other a enema of untreated water, as that is all they had. I guess the lower intestine isn't vulnerable at that point. Does anyone else remember that story?

#115549 - 05/05/09 06:16 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: hikerduane]
hoz Offline

Loc: midwest
That was sea water enemas. Their ship had sunk and they were confined to a rubber life raft.

#115554 - 05/05/09 08:38 PM Re: serious question: Toilet paper! [Re: Teej]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
If you use mullein leaves, you won't mind so much. Mullein is a plant with a very tall woody stalk and buds on the top part. The leaves toward the ground are thick and like velvet. Mullein grows like a weed out west and is easy to spot because it is usually about 5 ft. tall. Some people like mullein tea as a medicine, it tastes better than chamomile. Chiggers like the moss, by the way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum