In my opinion, a good way to learn to use a compass is to practice exercises that build in a very small way from the previous exercises. In the early exercises, there are things intentionally left out, like declination. Any references to maps will also be left out. I feel that compass learning virtually stops once one has a map. That will come in later exercises.

Keep all your notes you take along the way. Sometimes we will return to notes from a previous exercise to do another one.

Since many cannot get out into the field, a lot of the exercises are done in small scale. I've found this transfers real well to real life.

To keep this thread from getting out of control, when posting, try to keep it close to topic and not jump ahead to other scenarios.

Since everyone has different kinds of compasses, I will assume they have read the directions and know how to take a bearing.

Ideally, those who participate will actually do the exercises. This goes for experienced people, too.

Sometime along the way, I'll introduce protractors. I recommend a circular one which you can get at Walmart for about $5.00.