Hey all, great forum you have here. First, I use to backpack when I was a teenager so I am not exactly new to it, but haven't been in about five years (I'm 26) and I've really wanted to go lately. I have an old external pack that just doesn't have the features I want, and both my tents are car tents (over 15 lbs), so I have two new purchases to make.

First, the backpack. I think I'm going to stick with an external frame. I have a 3100 cu Kelty Redwing internal frame that I use mainly for a daypack/overnight bag and I love it, but with more gear I like the way external packs sit, the ability to lash gear to them and the ventilation between my back and the pack. With that in mind, how many cubic inches should I look for if I'm packing for 3-5 nights? I do not pack ultralight... I'm not dragging my TV along but I like to hike in ten or so miles, establish a "base camp" and then day hike out from that... and I like certain comforts. I'm considering the Kelty Tioga (5,000 cu) and the Kelty Trekker (3900 cu).

Second, the tent. What I want is a tent I will most likely be packing myself, and for the majority of the time will be the only one using it. However, I want it to sleep two people comfortably and have a decent amount of room if needed, so I am thinking 3-4 person tent with 40+ cubic feet. I can't justify $300 for a tent so REI is out, although I do love their products. So now I'm looking at Kelty (they're gonna love me in a month)... specifically the Gunnison 3.1 (6lb 8oz, 48 cu feet, $165+) & the Grand Mesa 4 (8lbs 4oz, 53 cu feet, $145+). How crazy am I for considering tents this heavy? I know you want to shoot for 3-4 lbs, but like I said I'm willing to sacrifice a little for comfort, and I am a big guy (6'2) who is pretty strong. Any input would be appreciated regarding this and the backpack.

Edited by Whiskeyguy (07/24/10 02:06 AM)