Hello new user here.
I'm a new hiker again because the last time I was serious hiker was when I was in Scouts over 20 years ago. So, I'm 36 now and looking to get back outside. I set a goal almost a year ago to go on a four day, three night hike. My wife (who doesn't like the woods) asked how I was going to do this since I didn't have any gear. I decided to make and sell paracord bracelets. Not only did I have to learn to make them, I didn't know if anybody would buy them. Long story short I've sold enough to buy all the gear I needed plus some toys for my kids. REI recently open in Cincinnati and the employees are getting to know me by name. As a side note REI's employee don't care if you buy from them they all know what they are talking about.
My plan is for a buddy and I to go to Red River Gorge this summer. I still need to get a water filter and some odd and ends.
Gear I've purchased: MSR hubba, Therm-a-rest prolite, Osprey Atmos 65, MSR pocket rocket, REI travel sack +55, Nalgene camp cup, eddie baure base layer, hiking pole.
I will be posting a few questions in the coming weeks about food and general question.
thanks in advance
bj