I saw the previous thread on this topic, but have a few more questions. Sorry for the long preamble...the actual question is at the bottom of the post.

I just got back from a 3-day Intro to Mountaineering class and I'm looking to buy a pair of crampons. I know how to self-arrest with an ice axe, french technique etc. I also own a pretty sliced up pair of breathable pants. Now they're even more breathable. Hah!!

In my class, I used crampons with front points for ice climbing and high angle hiking over ice, rock, and snow. My intended use will be 3k and 4k climbs in the white mountains of NH and the Long Trail in VT, plus a lot of skill practice for the rest of the winter. That means some easy ice climbing, icy trails, and snow covered trail walking.

I have a pair of Scarpa Omega Plastic Boots.

In my class, I used a pair of crampons, with front points, that had a metal bar that rested on the front of my boot soles and then clicked on in the back. However, in searching the web for crampons, it appears that most manufacturers use a rubber loop over the toes instead.

Are there advantages or disadvantages for either of these attachment systems?

thx,

Earlylite
http://sectionhiker.com