I live an an area that does not have alot of backpacking available. Therefore, we do not have outdoor sporting goods stores other than sports authority.

We do have one in town - but when I went in for a visit I found they have a strict "No Refunds" policy. This makes me leary.

My husband and I both have good boots - but my 14yr old son does not (he's currently in a men's size 13 shoe. We need to purchase something for him for our upcoming trip to the grand canyon as well as summer hiking and jrotc raiders this summer.

We have a wonderful running store in town that guarentee's there products and your comfort that they will refund your money if you are not happy. I've brought shoes back that were 6 weeks old and had 160 miles on them that were still giving me blisters that they returned and re-fitted me with new shoes.

My hiking boots purchased at an outfitters in NC offered me a similar guarentee - even from out of town - they would have honored a return via mail if I was not happy.

I'm not sure what to do for my son's needs. We don't have a trip to NC planned prior to our GC trip. So we have to get something more local.

Any tips on finding a great fitting hiking boot on the first try or from a mass market store like Sport Authority or Bass Pro Shop - or should I risk it with the local no returns shop?