Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199119 - 09/16/17 11:31 AM Excellent article on backcountry navigation
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I was rather surprised to find this article in one of our largest metropolitan area newspapers: Why it's a real mistake to rely on a cell phone when you go hiking. I read the Washington Post site for political news, but this article isn't political!

It's basically on the vital importance of paper maps and learning to read and orient yourself to them.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/16/17 11:32 AM)

#199121 - 09/16/17 09:13 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Nice. And in winter time, there is nothing like a good map to get the imagination going!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#199122 - 09/16/17 10:23 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Can't agree more!

#199123 - 09/16/17 11:09 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: Dryer]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've never made the switch to GPS - I like maps and compass.

#199135 - 09/19/17 08:10 AM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
IF I carry any electronics at all it will be an iphone and it doesn't get turned on unless I really need it. Paper maps are easy to print and don't run out of batteries, nor does a compass.
My compass has even been scaled back to just a tiny little neck worn thing, used to orient the map.
I will sometimes crank up the phone to see if there are any interesting features nearby, but rarely to navigate.

#199136 - 09/19/17 03:56 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: OregonMouse]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I agree with the importance of using (and knowing how to use) a map and compass. That said, I still bring an InReach on every backpacking trip, for a few reasons.

-- If I get truly lost, since I always have tracking on, I can follow 'breadcrumbs' backward to help 'find' myself.

-- If I get severely injured, I can not only call for help, but communicate with rescuers what kind of injury I have, how bad the injury is, whether they need to move fast or can take their time, etc.

-- Family members really enjoy following along via the website as I hike.

#199187 - 09/25/17 06:31 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: JustWalking]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
totally disagree. you should have a paper topographical trail map (and know how to read it), and google maps saved offline map with topographical mode on. The chance of someone getting themselves in trouble using a compass incorrectly is much higher than electronic device giving out. If the paper map is useless, then bring two electronic devices.

Neither are going to have warning for overflooded rivers. But I rather have gps digital map to off-trail out then a compass. I've had to do it before.

#199195 - 09/27/17 03:53 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: bob13bob]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
But I rather have gps digital map to off-trail out then a compass. I've had to do it before.

Depends on the topography. Here in the Ozarks a topo map and compass are as good or better than a GPS if you know how to use them.

I can read a topo and compare that to the distant ridges or course of a hollow or creek and pinpoint myself almost immediately and they don't need batteries.

I have been in some pancake flat spots though with no distinctive landmarks where that wouldn't work so good. Either way I'd bring both and spare batteries.

"You want to go where?"

#199205 - 09/29/17 12:07 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: billstephenson]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Here in Michigan woods it is easy to get off track even with a map and compass. In many areas you cannot see more than 500 ft and marked trails change directions frequently so even if you know what direction the trail is headed now it will more than likely be headed in a different direction a few minutes from now. Often even 180°. There are many two track roads which are not shown on any map because they were just made to get to someones hunting camp. Frequently you do not know exactly where you are until you get to a major land mark like a main road, river, lake etc. Knowing how long you have been walking is not a good indication of where you are due to the winding nature of the trail. A mile of walking may only be 1/2 mile away from the last know point. The map helps if the trail is shown on the map but if it is not shown on the map you have to wait until you get to some landmark.

#199260 - 10/11/17 12:55 PM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: JustWalking]
TwodoGz Offline

Loc: CT
IF.......you have signal. If not, I guess you can listen to your music til the batteries die.

#199393 - 10/29/17 03:12 AM Re: Excellent article on backcountry navigation [Re: GrumpyGord]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I've heard that about up there. I've never been to Michigan but I've been to places that have all pine forests and thought about how it appeared so much the same wherever you looked and how it must be easy to get lost in those.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum